What size is the lower spindle bushing

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

mgslayer
Roadster Fanatic

What size is the lower spindle bushing

Post by mgslayer »

I'm taking apart the front end of my parts car so I can bead blast and paint most of it so when I replace the grease boots on the Beast I'm hoping I can save some down time and just swap out some of the freshly painted pieces, and only have to clean up and swap over the ball joints, etc. I have everything apart with the exception of the lower spindle bushing. What size socket do I need? I tried a 32mm and a 1-1/4" and both are just a bit too small. Only want to visit Sears once. Also are there any alternatives to the upper spindle link grease boot and the lower grease boot? Dealer maybe? While I've got everything apart I might as well do it all at once.

Thanks
Mark
Mark
Taneytown MD
1968 SRL311
nomadtrash
Roadster Fanatic

Post by nomadtrash »

I'm not real sure what you are referring to. There are upper and lower a-arm bushings where the a-arms bolt to the frame. There are upper and lower ball joints where the a-arms bolt to the spindle. There is an outer tie rod end that bolts to the spindle. From what I've heard it is very difficult to get the a-arm bushings out of the a-arms.
Andy Cost
Roadster-less

Bolt on modification? I did use some bolts!
itsa68
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by itsa68 »

If the lower a-arm is apart, place bushing in the bench vise and turn the link arm to remove the bushing.
A little persuasion with a rubber mallet against the link helps a bit. :)

Lower and upper grease dust seals are readily available from any of the vendors or evil bay.

Ray B.
Thats not a R16 death rattle....its a dried leaf hitting my heater blower fan.
1968 SPL311 non-smog
mgslayer
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mgslayer »

Looks like the magic size is 1-5/16". Now to fire up the impact wrench on Sat. Could not get anything that big from 2 Sears stores in 1/2" drive (had it in 3/4") so off to Grainger I went.

FYI I think the uppers were 1-1/16". Might be metric but not 100% sure. Sockets are 6 sided not 12 so hopefully I don't round off the corners :shock:

Happy Wrenching
Mark
Mark
Taneytown MD
1968 SRL311
mgslayer
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mgslayer »

Forgot to add to my last post :oops: Why is there a lock tab for the upper link but not the bottom? Oh well hasn't come out in the 18+ yrs I've owned it, not gonna start to worry about it now :D
Later
Mark
Mark
Taneytown MD
1968 SRL311