Wacky Tachy

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Revbang

Wacky Tachy

Post by Revbang »

Just bought and brought home my new 67 311. The tach started to squeel the other day and now something is wrong. :( 0 RPM's is straight down and at about 5000 RPM's it registers about 2000 RPM's, plus it is very eratic. I am sure this isn't something new. Do I need a whole new tach, a new gear of some kind, or what. Thanks for the great site and the help. Mark
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Tach

Post by SLOroadster »

Try pulling the tack cable out and squirting some TRI-FLO or other non water based lube in there. You souldn't have to pull the cable all the way out, just one end or the other. (The one under teh dash might be the easiest to get to.) This should solve the problem.
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Squeeling Tach

Post by S Allen »

SLOroadster has a good suggestion. The tach cable definitely needs some lubrication. It may have worn so badly it is making that racket or even broke. Tach cables are still available from the vendors. You can just order the cable as long as the sleeve is in good shape. There is always something to fix.

Steve
Revbang

Post by Revbang »

I think it must be more than just the tach cable. Zero RPM is now wherever it randomly stopped before. The needle by now has made several trips around the dial. Is there supposed to be a "pig", a little post on the tach at zero for the needle to stop and rest on? I can't see how a dry cable could make the tach act that wierd. Could it be the gear at the transmission I have heard about or is it internal in the tach? Thanks, Mark
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Whacky Tachy

Post by S Allen »

I did not realize the tachometer needle was doing its own thing. Yes, there is usually a spring and a stop to keep it at zero. Sounds like your tach went south. Getting one fixed can be costly. I may have one lying around. Let me take a look in my stock pile. I think one out of a 66 would fit as well but the trim ring would be chrome instead of black. I will take a look and let you know. The gear in the tranny usually just quits working all together.

Steve