Believe it or not but my clock works! (for now)

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

clunker
Roadster Nut

Believe it or not but my clock works! (for now)

Post by clunker »

So in a stroke of bordom and/or stupidity I decided to try and fix the clock in my roadster. Dispite there being an overwellming number of gears and springs inside, to my amazment after cleaning and lubricating the internal pieces I was able to get it running again and has been running now for 4 days! I have figured it to be running a little slow (about 1 min. per day) but not bad considering!
On the down side now my wife says I have no excuse for coming home late from a drive. :cry:
Just thought I would share the good news!
Steve Moore
1966 1600 (swapping a U20 in)
---------------------------------------------------
Nope, its supposed to make that noise.
sgriffin
Roadster Fanatic

clock

Post by sgriffin »

Steve:
Always fun to get a little mechanical surprise, eh? Good luck. Sam
Sam E. Griffin
Redtail

Post by Redtail »

mine runs about that slow too. Maybe they all do?
clunker
Roadster Nut

Post by clunker »

When I had it open I notice an adjustment screw on the back that could probably be used to get it to run more on-time. I think I will give it a try tonight.
Steve Moore
1966 1600 (swapping a U20 in)
---------------------------------------------------
Nope, its supposed to make that noise.
Eric F

Post by Eric F »

Congrats!! A working clock is always a nice touch. I am completely amazed to report I have 3 cars with working clocks right now. My wifes '67 1600 clock is a tad slow and you usually have to tap it about once a week to get it restarted, but it will hold time very nicely throughout that week. My '70 2000 clock works great, but runs about 2 minutes fast over the course of a week.. Maybe it's time to try that adjustment. Finally, a '68 1600 project car I have has a running clock, but I don't leave the battery connected long enough to see if it holds correct time.

Eric
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

On the subject of clocks: there is a guy that updates/restores 240z clocks with a later Z quartz motion (I believe) and I am pretty sure he does roadster clocks as well. His website is: http://zclocks.com/.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Re: Believe it or not but my clock works! (for now)

Post by Linda »

Amazing what there is in the archives...
Anyone use this service mentioned?
www.zclocks.com
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

I reached out to him when I was restoring my car and he said he didn’t do Roadster clocks. I took mine to North Hollywood Speedometer. They converted it to a quartz movement - still works great five years later.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Well he has a link..…:
http://www.zclocks.com/roadster.html
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

Great! As a point of reference, I think NHS charged me something like $50-$75 to do my clock. They replaced the plastic lens with glass, and removed the winder stem from the middle (which is a horrible design). They installed an electrical adjuster button on the end of a wire that I routed over to my glove box.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
Geistfahrar
Roadster Nut

Post by Geistfahrar »

The 12v electrical "winding" mechanism on the roadsters was a terrific idea. There is one downside to look out for, if you take your car out of service for an extended period. When my water pump failed, I figured I would fix the pump in "short order," That was 5 years ago. About 3 years ago, I noticed that the battery was showing signs of corrosion, so I cleaned up the terminals & cables, charged it up & checked for "phantom shorts," I found that the only drain on the battery was the clock, so I pulled the battery. Of courses the battery is still out while I try and make some headway on the pump replacement. Biggest obstacle now, is getting the shroud off the radiator without chewing my hands up on the alternator fan.

Garry S.
Location Southern Cal
69' 2000 Roadster, being repaired by O/O
2001 Mercedes ML430; Was Wife's ride, now Grocery-hauler
2005 Jeep Wrangler X; Was Motor-home Toad, now local shopper
2005 33' Dolphin motor-home; Was vacation home, now guest house
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

Having the stem sticking out of the middle of the face of our little clock (where it partially obstructs the driver’s view of the face) was the only way to do provide a way to set it at the time. I wouldn’t characterize that as a “terrific idea,” maybe the “only idea?” Point is, you don’t have to live with that anymore if you get your clock redone by NHS. The same NHS that does all the gauge work for Jay Leno btw...
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

In a sense, the ONLY purpose for the clock( given modern technology) is to drain the battery (LOL) - unless you are in a serious concours where they check the clock at the beginning of the inspection and then at the end!
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

mraitch wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:37 am In a sense, the ONLY purpose for the clock( given modern technology) is to drain the battery (LOL) - unless you are in a serious concours where they check the clock at the beginning of the inspection and then at the end!
...said the Concours judge. :D
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
MANDERIX
Forum Newb

Post by MANDERIX »

My restored 68 1600 Roadster's battery stops after a day or two when garaged. Then, when I go out driving again, it takes about ten minutes and it starts running keeping good time....obviously you have to set it again. When I garage it again in about two days the clock stops. When it stops in the garage it is no longer pulling even a milliamp. I guess that's OK with me...I have a functioning clock that hibernates😁.