Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

tig
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Tall to low windshield conversion

Post by tig »

I've searched but have not found anything definitive...

What would be involved in converting a '68 to have a low windshield? Assume tons of bodywork is already in store for said chassis.
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Re: Tall to low windshield conversion

Post by redroadster »

How tall are you ?
I always hated driving a low ...because the wind stream hits me in the forehead and it gets more annoying as it goes ... I'm 72.5 ".
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
tig
Roadster Fanatic

Post by tig »

I'm 4'2".

Seriously, I'm not asking if it's something that should be done or not but what would it take?
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

It has been done. A car local to me had the windshield cut off to be a race car, and then when it was put back to Street use they bolted on a low windshield frame. I have not studied it to find out what is needed
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

I can tell you buying an early car or just an early body swap is way, way, way less effort.
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by theunz »

I would think that you would need at least the low windshield wings and probably the side glass as well. Might be easier to just change the doors depending upon wether the door innards are the same. You would need to address the convertible top latches as well.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Why not just buy a low windshield car or body?

To clarify, the issue with is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING is interchangeable. Zero.

Can it be done? Certainly. Most people want to swap to a flat dash as well. That is a nightmare.

After you chop off the windshield frame and modify all the cowl sheet metal to support and mount the early windshield and/or dash, you will find nothing compatible. The heater, console and trim won't fit, all vent/heater cables and controls are different and don't interchange.

Literally 100's of details to address.

Either way you will realize the top frame is totally different and will need an early top and frame too.

You will realize the door vent triangle windows don't fit, and the side glass is too tall. If you want to swap doors, the 66 latches are totally different and the doors meet the fenders differently, so you would need 67.6 doors I think. Everything about them is unique to that year.

If you swap to flat dash, everything about the dash electrics are different. every circuit will need modifications. If you get an early dash harness, you will have to make a ton of changes as well since the electrical systems are different in every single detail.

Not saying you can't do it..but you are talking months/years? of work.

You can swap a body in a weekend. Still some details to address, but WAAAY easier and quicker. Why hack the late body up? that just wrecks it's value for ever.

A couple more tips..if your body is rusted out, buy a 66 or 67 body from CA or the southwest. It will bolt on to the frame directly.
If your late model body has no rust or damage, please don't hack the windshield off, that would be a shame.
Last edited by JT68 on Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LT/JT
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

This should be posted to the Tech Wiki, if not there already, so that owners know what they are in for.
Abandoned projects due to lack of info, don’t help the Roadster count. If someone wants to proceed anyway, fine. Many things can derail a project and it is sad, let’s not let lack of availability of info be one reason.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Curtis
Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

Step 1, buy 67.5 1600 body. Step 2, put on frame. Step 3, avoid all the hassle that JT points out.

With a 67.5 body you can use any flat dash 65-67.5 and just chrome away without the satin finish like the 67.5.

Edit: When I decided to replace my swiss cheese body on my 67 I thought about getting a 67.5 body so I could have the dual master cylinder.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
eye
Roadster Fanatic

Post by eye »

I thought about cutting the tall windshield down and also the glass. I'm sure I could have done it but then again, nothing fits if you want side glass and a top at some point. I found a lot better ways to spend a month.
projects at 329art instagram
more junk 329art.com
spriso
Vendor

Post by spriso »

Cut down windshield 69 that was in our area for a long time-- have not seen it in years however:

Michael
Spriso Motorsports
http://www.spriso.com
Instagram https://instagram.com/spriso/
SR20 Powered Roadsters
Engine swap kits Available! See my website!
Curtis
Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

So they just took two inches off the top and changed side windows or cut them down. A roadster haircut. I like it.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Curtis wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:52 am Step 1, buy 67.5 1600 body. Step 2, put on frame. Step 3, avoid all the hassle that JT points out.

With a 67.5 body you can use any flat dash 65-67.5
This is an infinitely better plan than ruining a restorable 68-70 body....
LT/JT
tig
Roadster Fanatic

Post by tig »

JT68 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:23 am Why not just buy a low windshield car or body?

To clarify, the issue with is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING is interchangeable. Zero.

Can it be done? Certainly. Most people want to swap to a flat dash as well. That is a nightmare.

After you chop off the windshield frame and modify all the cowl sheet metal to support and mount the early windshield and/or dash, you will find nothing compatible. The heater, console and trim won't fit, all vent/heater cables and controls are different and don't interchange.

Literally 100's of details to address.

Either way you will realize the top frame is totally different and will need an early top and frame too.

You will realize the door vent triangle windows don't fit, and the side glass is too tall. If you want to swap doors, the 66 latches are totally different and the doors meet the fenders differently, so you would need 67.6 doors I think. Everything about them is unique to that year.

If you swap to flat dash, everything about the dash electrics are different. every circuit will need modifications. If you get an early dash harness, you will have to make a ton of changes as well since the electrical systems are different in every single detail.

Not saying you can't do it..but you are talking months/years? of work.

You can swap a body in a weekend. Still some details to address, but WAAAY easier and quicker. Why hack the late body up? that just wrecks it's value for ever.

A couple more tips..if your body is rusted out, buy a 66 or 67 body from CA or the southwest. It will bolt on to the frame directly.
If your late model body has no rust or damage, please don't hack the windshield off, that would be a shame.
Excellent information; very useful. Thank you for taking the time.

I happen to have three roadsters. Two '68s and one '69. Only one of them is actually something you'd call a full car. I will be making one out of them. I am a long ways away from actually starting the build project and like most everyone I think the low windshield looks better, which is why I asked. You've sufficiently scared me away from the idea.
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

It's easy, just get a good 66-67.5 body and you are all set..hacking up the late body is madness.
LT/JT