Bleeding Volvo Conversion Calipers - anyone running setup

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

SP3
Roadster Fanatic

Bleeding Volvo Conversion Calipers - anyone running setup

Post by SP3 »

Trying to get a good bleed of the system and still get soft pedal. Was wondering if anyone with experience bleeding the 4-pot Volvo calipers can advise if you need to bleed both sides of Caliper or if you do, does that let air back in system?

Speed bleeders installed at all 4 wheels (with 2 in each front caliper). Sequence was LR,RR,LF,RF

Also installed firewall brace but pedal feels like the clutch pedal action.

Bleeding process solo but going through one reservoir drain per bleeder screw (mindful not to let reservoir empty).

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Bleeding Volvo Conversion Calipers - anyone running setup

Post by redroadster »

Normally the bleeder port has to be at the very top
So unless the caliper has a internal line at the top of the top cyl
It's going to trap air there
I'd try unbolting it with a substatute rotor and the bleeder at top then bleed
They are pushing fluid pressure out now ?
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Try bleeding the master cylinder also. You can loop the tubing back into the reservoir and pump, watching for air.

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
SP3
Roadster Fanatic

Post by SP3 »

@redroaster,

If you look at the second picture, there is a bleeder screw at the top of the caliper. I think that is what you are referring to. I’ll see if I can swap the Speedbleeder out of the lower port with the bleeder at the top of caliper. By the way in response to your PM, the Speedbleeders were 1/4-28. Threaded right up and same length as bleeders I replaced with them - so not Metric.

Do I need to bleed the whole system again or just front calipers with that Top position bleeder? Bled at all 4 corners earlier. If recommendation is to bleed whole system, is it advantageous to raise rear of car?

Switching to DOT5.1 as it appears is compatible with DOT3 and no flushing out lines required.

Linda, re. master cylinder bleed, I got 3/8-24 Speedbleeders but they appear too large in diameter for my master. Can one bleed the master cylinder solo without Speedbleeders?
SP3
Roadster Fanatic

Post by SP3 »

Forgot to respond on other question- yes both lower bleeders are pushing fluid pressure out.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Yes, you can bleed the master with the stock bleeder, just not as convenient as a speed bleeder there, I believe.
Speedbleeder.com site has a size chart. http://speedbleeder.com/size.htm
Is there a ball bearing in the stock Volvo calipers like there is in the Roadster? That must be removed when switching to a speed bleeder if so, just like the Roadster.

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.