autometer electronic gauges electrical connections

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Rpelkey
Roadster Newby

autometer electronic gauges electrical connections

Post by Rpelkey »

I have this on another thread but did not get much feedback there so I will try here. Basically it is a 69 that was burned slightly in a small garage fire. Gauges were ruined but wiring is good after checking continuity.

As I move forward on this project slowly, I have the new dash plate welded in and I am installing the autometer gauges. I am trying to keep things as simple as possible by using the original push pull switches and ignition.

The changes are:
I will change from a Amp-meter to a Volt meter.
Electronic gauges include a Volt meter, GPS speedometer, Tach, Temp, Fuel and oil pressure.

With these changes, I have some questions for our electrical guys out there.

1. From the back of the Amp meter I will be joining the white wire and the white/red wire together with a non insulated butt connector then cover with heat shrink. is the the correct way forward?

2. Where should I pull 12v source for the new Volt meter?

3. The power source for the 6 gauges at 0.2 amps each would be from the radio power. It would be used for this since I will not be installing a radio. It is OK to do this or should I source the power somewhere else? OK to use the ground

4. The original multi meter has a 4 connector plug in the back with power to temp and fuel sensors. I will abandon this with empty plug and tape.

5. Is it OK to abandon the S brake light and service switch? Am I missing anything?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Re: autometer electronic gauges electrical connections

Post by spl310 »

Cool! I would keep the s/brake light. To make things more modern, mount a pressure switch on the parking brake handle like a modern car to activate the light. The pull switch for the S/brake for something else.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Curtis
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

Stock dash harness will not work will not work with a dash conversion.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
TurboRagtop
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by TurboRagtop »

Yes, I definitely recommend using non-insulated butt connectors, then cover with heat shrink. Using the non-insulated connectors allows you to inspect the integrity and test the strength of the crimped joint before covering with heat shrink. It also allows you the option of soldering the connection before you cover with heat shrink.
Karl Payne, Gilbert, AZ
1966 1600 roadster, 2.3L EFI Turbo Ford engine, FMIC, 2.5" exhaust, T-5 trans, 300ZX big brakes, stand-alone Megasquirt ECU/TunerStudio
Rpelkey
Roadster Newby

Post by Rpelkey »

Curtis wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:20 pm Stock dash harness will not work will not work with a dash conversion.
Any suggestions on a way forward with the information that stock dash harness will not work with the attometer gauges.

Thanks, I am really hitting the wall here

rpelkey
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

I would say a custom harness since you're moving everything around and changing the gauges. Are building a center console to put the stock switches in? Most of the 69-70 switches are different from earlier cars. Washer and heater are the same as 68. Turn, headlight and hazard are unique. S brake switch is even different and the console harness.
66 stroker, almost done.
dynaguy
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dynaguy »

Must use push/pull switch for wipers or retro-fit early wiper motor to use toggle switch when doing a flat dash conversion. FWIW Pat
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

I'm in for this info too; getting ready for two 69's w/flat dash conversion (one SR20 and one U20) and I need to figure out the wiring. Should be relatively straight forward on the SR swap cuz I'm putting in a completely new wiring harness for the car, but the U20 I'll be working with Curtis to figure out how to get it into the stock Datsun harness (i.e., buying a dash harness from him).
Rpelkey
Roadster Newby

Post by Rpelkey »

Curtis wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:45 pm I would say a custom harness since you're moving everything around and changing the gauges. Are building a center console to put the stock switches in? Most of the 69-70 switches are different from earlier cars. Washer and heater are the same as 68. Turn, headlight and hazard are unique. S brake switch is even different and the console harness.
I am going to put in a center console to use the push pulls and fabricate in a place for the heater controls I am not planning on toggle switches, using stock push pulls.
Can you point me to someone that can make me a custom dash harness for the attometer gauges?
I had a not so great experience with Portland Wiring Harness this summer.

Thank you
Rpelkey
Roadster Newby

Post by Rpelkey »

I am going to go ahead and use the stock dash harness for lack of finding anyone that would create a custom for the gauges. The gauges simply have a 12v key on power for the gauges and power for the gauge lights. Everything is wired via a harness for the gauges.

The only gauge I am confused with is the volt meter. Where do I pull the 12v source for the volt meter reading?

Thanks everyone
TurboRagtop

Post by TurboRagtop »

The 12 V source for the voltmeter really can be any switched power source you choose from the fuse box. If you are concerned about ultimate accuracy, probably the most accurate point to tap into would be the voltage regulator, using the terminal that charges the battery. Use an inline fuse, of course, goes without saying.
Karl Payne, Gilbert, AZ
1966 1600 roadster, 2.3L EFI Turbo Ford engine, FMIC, 2.5" exhaust, T-5 trans, 300ZX big brakes, stand-alone Megasquirt ECU/TunerStudio
C.Costine

Post by C.Costine »

Rpelkey wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:43 am
Curtis wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:45 pm I would say a custom harness since you're moving everything around and changing the gauges. Are building a center console to put the stock switches in? Most of the 69-70 switches are different from earlier cars. Washer and heater are the same as 68. Turn, headlight and hazard are unique. S brake switch is even different and the console harness.
I am going to put in a center console to use the push pulls and fabricate in a place for the heater controls I am not planning on toggle switches, using stock push pulls.
Can you point me to someone that can make me a custom dash harness for the attometer gauges?
I had a not so great experience with Portland Wiring Harness this summer.

Thank you

Rpelkey, Curtis is the resident wire harness guru here at 311s. He is constantly helping members with their wiring problems. He is also the maker of most of the wiring diagrams in the tech wiki. He produces wiring harnesses and is probably your best bet for what you need.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Rpelkey
Roadster Newby

Post by Rpelkey »

thanks everyone,

any chance you would be willing to make me a harness Curtis?
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

Rpelkey wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:34 am thanks everyone,

any chance you would be willing to make me a harness Curtis?
Get in line. I have several I'm working on.
66 stroker, almost done.