Exhaust resonator tips

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

joe fremeau
Roadster Fanatic

Exhaust resonator tips

Post by joe fremeau »

Hi , trying to get my exhaust to sound better . Anyone have any suggestions on a exhaust tip with resonator built in. Thanks
dynaguy
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Exhaust resonator tips

Post by dynaguy »

https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/exhaust

None better! Got his whole system on my '69 sr20 car, sweet sounds. Pat
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz »

If you don’t have to have the OEM look then Ansa or Monza resonator tips can be made to fit.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

I have a single Monza tip with a dynomax turbo muffler... very nice deep rumble. The Monza and the like have a small glass pac muffler built in to mellow out the tone.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... IeknEUWUhE

These are for 2.5" pipes however so look around and/or see what a local shop can do to fit it. Any of these kind of tips with the packing may help.
What are you hearing, what do you not like about it now?
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
joe fremeau
Roadster Fanatic

Post by joe fremeau »

I don't hear any tone, it just has a muffler on it with no resonator. Was going to buy a Monza resonator , but can not find anyone that carries them, they all say out of stock. Are they still in business? Thank
Curtis
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

The problem is finding a resonator that fits in that small space. I gave up and bought the stainless one. I hated the bullet muffler.

However, if you find something you like then you can have a cone made.

https://www.coneeng.com/
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

From an earlier thread re a exhaust tip option
viewtopic.php?p=182561#p182561

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
ACote
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000

Post by ACote »

Old photobucket pics showing again. I cut down a truck tip. little bigger than stock but only when side to side with the old. Old was 1.5" to 2.5" I think new is 2-3"
ACote wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:35 pm Left side door went together easily. only a few screws holding the window and channels on. So far my favorite thing I've done, no more rattle and big crashing noise when I close the door. I got the exhaust tip from megs and cut it today. Drilled a hole in the ruler at the measurement I needed. went with 9".
Made a perfect line all the way around by holding the ruler and rotating the tip.
I was able to cut it carefully with my dremel. I couldn't find anyone who had a circular saw that I could borrow. Then ground it smooth/level. Left the tape on from the cut, and used silver bbq paint from ace hardware on the edge and inside. It's good up to 1000*f
Comparison pics. doesn't look much bigger it's about a 2"-3" diameter. And doesn't look as chewed up. I'm going to run the exhaust back to the stock location once I get around to the manifold install.
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

You could just go to an exhaust shop and have them swap out the muffler for a turbo muffler (dynomax, thrush... not stupid expensive) and add a monza tip... it will rumble but not be excessive with the tip. Don't use a chambered muffler... they sound terrible IMHO. Shouldn't be too expensive at a basic shop...
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
FergO2k

Post by FergO2k »

I did the dual Monza tip version, and at first it felt like it quieted it too much, but have grown to like it. Has been on there before 6-8 years now.
Hard to find side-by-side because Z cars had them stacked. (so you are searching for someone's shelf article that they never installed)
Make sure the install it with tips 1" past bumper, so it doesn't turn the chrome black. I have a muffler and no resonator, the packing in the Monza does its job. Not sure if that helps.
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA