Question on Timing an R16 for Initial Running??

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

SP3
Roadster Fanatic

Question on Timing an R16 for Initial Running??

Post by SP3 »

I have been trying to get a Pre-smog motor 1600 running properly. I have resolved associated electrical connections and ignition parts but stil inop.

Here is where I am to date.

Pulled all the old plugs and spun over motor to clear out fuel/starter fluid. In case possible flooded condition. I then put in new plugs and got it to run. Rough though and backfiring out of the carbs continually. I then shut off motor and looked at it possibly being out of time.

So I found TDC on #1 on Compression stroke, pulled dizzy cap and rotor was pointing to near #4 cylinder. I then installed #1 plug wire and then the rest of wires (1342) going clockwise. Motor would not start. I then installed wires the same from #1 wire being in cap at #4 cylinder orientation BUT installed wires going counter clockwise. Still no starting.

In addition to finding #1 TDC I also pulled valve cover and confirmed both valves were closed on #1 (visible play in rocker arms on both #1 valves, were other cylinder were tight). Second time, at #1 TDC, I lined up the timing notches on crank pulley to first notch which would be zero. Rotor still pointing at #4 cylinder.

Should I check with Timing pointer at 16 instead of 0? By checking at 0 am I trying this with engine 180 degrees out of time?

The car ran great prior to all this misfiring, weeks ago. Should I need to try moving the dizzy to advance or retard while trying to start at this point?

Car is a points ignition system setup. All parts in system are new.
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Re: Question on Timing an R16 for Initial Running??

Post by keith0alan »

Counterclockwise as I recall.
amazgjoe
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by amazgjoe »

Set the engine up at #1 cylinder TDC and install the wires starting at #1 cylinder going counterclockwise 1342
Put the distributor at zero or a few degrees advanced and try again.
1967 1600 (Doris)
1967 1600 restored (Former Linusrp)
1987 Porsche 924s
2004 Ralliart Lancer
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Backfiring often said to be a lean condition.
Be sure the floats are set correctly, so carbs get fuel.
Also the nozzles I like to set at the “ magic number” on each (Tech Wiki) to get both nozzles perfectly balanced.
Then check pigtail wire in distributor when it is curved not just staight, as you may not have the same continuity but an intermittent problem.
Agree on the 0 on distributor plate.
With timing light should see 16 deg BTDC, after adjusting.
Linda

Maybe take a pic at TDC, dizzy at 0 to see if rotor points to #1. You can put the cap on and rotor should point to the #1 terminal.
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
SP3
Roadster Fanatic

Post by SP3 »

Thanks for replies.

Amazgjoe,

When you say "install wires starting at #1 cylinder going counter-clockwise 1342" do you mean install the #1 cylinder plug wire in the dizzy cap port closest to #1 cylinder? And then subsequently #3 cylinder plug wire goes into next dizzy cap port to left (counter-clockwise direction)?

Just want to confirm I am disregarding where rotor is pointing. Also no need to worry about timing notches on crank pulley, just move dizzy a little past zero and tighten secure screw and fire it up?
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Post by keith0alan »

You do need to worry about where the rotor is pointing. With #1 on TDC on the compression stroke both valves will be closed. The #4 valves will also be closed but in the overlap between exhaust and intake. As you turn the crank back and forth the #4 valves will open and close a little bit. Set the octane selector to 0 degrees. Set the crank to 16 BTDC. Turn the distributor back and forth until the points are just opening/closing. Where the rotor is pointing is the #1 cylinder. Install a plug wire from #1 cylinder to where the rotor is pointing. Work your way counterclockwise installing 3, 4 and 2. It should light right off.
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

I presume you are confident that the distributor is not installed 180 degrees out??
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Post by keith0alan »

With my described technique it will not matter.