Datsun 2000 back fires now won’t start

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Cllishof

Datsun 2000 back fires now won’t start

Post by Cllishof »

I am no mechanic. So I take my datsun out. Driving along I think it’s in 3rd it’s in 5th it revs up backfires shuts off. Now won’t start. It wants to. I mean it really does. Let it sit for 12 hours. Tried starting it nothing. Just got it home. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance. Chris linhardt
Cllishof

Re: Datsun 2000 back fires now won’t start

Post by Cllishof »

Timing chain was changed 15,000 miles ago. Anyone ever heard of a backfire making one jump? Seems unlikely but a thought.
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

You need to trouble shoot. Check for gas to the cylinders by looking at plugs for gas present or not. Check for spark by laying a plug on the valve cover with wire on it and grounding it with one of your clip on jumper wires. After that you go to compression then timing in a systematic manner. This is going to require tools, LOL.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz »

I would check for a loose distributor first. Your distributor may have moved while you were driving thus causing the backfire and subsequent loss of power followed by the refusal to start.
Since it’s trying to start we know that it’s getting fuel and spark, perhaps just not at the proper time. You can go one of these two ways. 1. Google how to set static timing and go that route. 2. Note the exact position your distributor is at in relation to a static part of your engine , this is so that you can return your distributor back to the place you started if the following doesn’t fix your issue. Now, while someone tries to start the car you will slightly turn the distributor in either direction and listen for the engine to turn over faster or slower. When you are close it should turn over at it’s normal sound and not backfire. If this indeed is your problem then once it starts you can then set the timing to it’s specified position with a timing light.
Good luck.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

Chris,

Hope your last tuneup wasn't also 15k mi ago. Are you running a points type distributor, as originally equipped? If so, check that the point gap has not closed below the 0.020in. setting. As the point rubbing block wears on the distributor cam, the gap closes and retards the ignition. This can eventually cause a backfire and/or difficult starting.

Jon
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

I imagine there's someone near you that can help... contact Ted Heaton or DROPS.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Cllishof

Post by Cllishof »

I am gonna be looking at it Sunday. Tools don’t scare me! It’s mechanic work that scares me. Thanks for the advice.