Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Curtis
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Wiper Motor Speeds

Post by Curtis »

This thread had lead me on an interesting learning journey. From what I can see the only difference between the early round can motor and later motor is the arm on the motor. Looks like you can disassemble the motor and swap them. Took my old motor apart last night.

After a bunch of searching I came across the Mazda and Acura motor swaps on the 510. The Acura motor has the same 3 bolt circle apparently. Found a used one for $22 on ebay. Going to modify the arm to work with mine and see. There's a write up on changing the wiring too.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
Rutty
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Rutty »

Wow, thanks for the help everyone.
Curtis, your diagrams are awesome! They help a lot. I'll have to get my switch out and test it's continuity at the different positions. Am I reading right that on high position both the high and low speed wires should have continutity?

Thanks,
Matt
'68 1600 (L20b)
'69 2000
Minnesota
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

Rutty wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:20 am Wow, thanks for the help everyone.
Curtis, your diagrams are awesome! They help a lot. I'll have to get my switch out and test it's continuity at the different positions. Am I reading right that on high position both the high and low speed wires should have continutity?

Thanks,
No, just low speed. It's an odd set up. I actually made up a rotary switch that gives me 3 speeds, low, low+high, high wire powered.
66 stroker, almost done.
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

I just modified the 68-70 drawing and added some more switch layouts.
66 stroker, almost done.
steve_car
Roadster Fanatic

Post by steve_car »

The 66-67 wiper switch will tie the hi and lo speed together in the lo position only. This is because the wiper switch is the same part number as the light switch and it was designed to work for both applications. So, if you had a 66-67 that only had hi speed it could be that your lo wiring is not connected. If you only had lo speed it could be that the hi and lo wires are swapped.
But 68-70 switch is separate for hi and lo.
Steve
65 1500
62 L320
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

Can someone post a good photo or two of a 68-70 wiper motor minus the linkage please? I want to see the attachment pin for the linkage. A search on the internet did not turn up any decent pics. Thanks.
66 stroker, almost done.
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

Got my pictures from Ted, thanks. But he is unsure of the park position for the motor so if anyone knows please let me know.

I received my Honda Del Sol/Accura Integra wiper motor today. Wired it up to the stock 68 wiper switch and it worked correctly. Bolts directly to the mount plate. Turns out my early motor has metric bolts which is about par for Nissan/Datsun, metric on the SAE car wherever they felt like.

I also made it work for my early car. It will not work with the stock toggle switch because of the way park works. But it does work just fine with aftermarket Lucas toggle switch because it has an extra connection tab at the number 8 position.
66 stroker, almost done.