Steering Box Adjustment Difficulty

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

drummerdood
Roadster Fanatic

Steering Box Adjustment Difficulty

Post by drummerdood »

Hello community! I recently freshened up my steering components (lower ball joints, upper spindles, tie rods, center link, idler box) on my '68 SPL311 and stupidly messed around with the steering box adjustment screw. Now I can't seem to get it right. If its backed off counter clockwise, there is this weird spot when turning the steering wheel from right to left right around the 1 o'clock position, where there is a lot of play. I can grab the universal joint and easily turn it with my hand an eight of a turn in either direction. If I gradually turn the adjusting screw clockwise this area of slop goes away, but when I go for a drive it feels really tight, and when I make a change direction the steering wheel does not return to center. If I lift the car up and turn the wheel, it doesn't feel like it's binding, but it feels tight and takes a bit of effort to turn. Also, I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but my alignment settings are as follows:

Camber -.5 degrees
Caster +2.2 degrees
Toe-in 3mm

Before I swapped out the steering parts my alignment was stock.

Any advice on getting the adjustment on the steering box right would be appreciated.
Nissanman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Steering Box Adjustment Difficulty

Post by Nissanman »

The adjustment of the 'box is definitely a compromise between having a "dead" spot and having it bind up at the L and R extremities.
If you can't adjust to a all round setting, it may mean that the steering box is worn too much and requires a rebuild.
I gather being a '68 your steering is recirculating ball?
Nissanman, just trying to help.
1965 SP310 Engine No. G-93326 Car No. SP310-10817
https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/60141836519
On the road again!
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

Unless it has been changed out (not likely), it is the earlier "worm and peg" rather than RB, and the problem drummerdood describes is symptomatic of the earlier steering setup with wear. If it is time for a rebuild/replacement anyway, it is definitely worthwhile to consider replacing with the later RB and idler:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33103&p=303897&hili ... ll#p303897

Jon
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Is there any way to "move" the wear spot to another Place? I have no reality based visual in my mind of how it works, but does the design allow for things to be rotated such that the wear spot is no longer in play? Or would this result in a dangerous slop spot exactly when you don't want it (in a turn for example). I would think any efforts would require the removal of the steering arm.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
drummerdood
Roadster Fanatic

Post by drummerdood »

Nissanman wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:09 am The adjustment of the 'box is definitely a compromise between having a "dead" spot and having it bind up at the L and R extremities.
If you can't adjust to a all round setting, it may mean that the steering box is worn too much and requires a rebuild.

It's the earlier style box. Having a "dead" spot is a good way of describing what it feels like at the 1 o'clock position. I think I'm going to go shopping for that later set-up once my wallet regenerates.
drummerdood
Roadster Fanatic

Post by drummerdood »

jhayden wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:50 am Unless it has been changed out (not likely), it is the earlier "worm and peg" rather than RB, and the problem drummerdood describes is symptomatic of the earlier steering setup with wear. If it is time for a rebuild/replacement anyway, it is definitely worthwhile to consider replacing with the later RB and idler:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33103&p=303897&hili ... ll#p303897

Jon

Yeah, I think that's the route I may end up taking...though there is a really clean early box on ebay right now....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Roadste ... %7Ciid%3A1
drummerdood
Roadster Fanatic

Post by drummerdood »

Gregs672000 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:53 am Is there any way to "move" the wear spot to another Place? I have no reality based visual in my mind of how it works, but does the design allow for things to be rotated such that the wear spot is no longer in play? Or would this result in a dangerous slop spot exactly when you don't want it (in a turn for example). I would think any efforts would require the removal of the steering arm.
No way to move the "dead" spot. If I turn the adjuster all the way out counter clockwise, the dead spot at the 1 o'clock position is extremely noticeable and clunky. It's feels as if it's freewheeling for a quarter turn of the steering wheel, and then catches again....and it only happens when going right to left. If I leave the wheel at this dead spot I can easily turn the u-joint with my hand, and as I tighten the adjuster, the deadness goes away, but then the steering wheel is really difficult to turn lock to lock, and when I do turn, the wheel will just stay turned unless I turn it back.
ppeters914

Post by ppeters914 »

Nissanman wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:09 am [snip]
I believe the recirculating ball steering boxes didn't arrive until partway into the '69 models.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
drummerdood
Roadster Fanatic

Post by drummerdood »

So, now I am trying to source a RB steering box and U joint. Thing is I have a brand new rebuilt early Idler box, will that still work with the RB box? I know there is a later style Idler, but I don't see why they wouldn't be interchangeable.
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

drummerdood wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:24 pm So, now I am trying to source a RB steering box and U joint. Thing is I have a brand new rebuilt early Idler box, will that still work with the RB box? I know there is a later style Idler, but I don't see why they wouldn't be interchangeable.
viewtopic.php?t=11073
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by david premo »

In a word no.
drummerdood
Roadster Fanatic

Post by drummerdood »

jhayden wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:46 pm
drummerdood wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:24 pm So, now I am trying to source a RB steering box and U joint. Thing is I have a brand new rebuilt early Idler box, will that still work with the RB box? I know there is a later style Idler, but I don't see why they wouldn't be interchangeable.
viewtopic.php?t=11073

There it is! Looks like its a yes. Thanks!
ppeters914

Post by ppeters914 »

drummerdood wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:04 pm
jhayden wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:46 pm
viewtopic.php?t=11073
There it is! Looks like its a yes. Thanks!
david premo wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:32 pm In a word no.
Except Mister Premo said "No." :smt017

Dave, can you elaborate, please?
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle