Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Storing disassembled brake parts

Post by ppeters914 »

Disassembling 3 sets of front brakes to find the best set to rebuild. Tedious, but somewhat satisfying. Unfortunately, what I'm finding highlights how important it is to flush your brake fluid every year or two. :(

I'm mainly concerned about storing the pistons and cylinders that I'm not using for the rebuild. Might keep 'em for spares, might sell them. I've removed the major rust and corrosion, then cleaned with brake cleaner.

Should I just store 'em dry open to the air (maybe wrapped in clean rag), dry in a ziplock bag, or spray with WD-40 or LPS3, then store in ziplock?

Thanks.
Last edited by ppeters914 on Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Re: Storing dissassembled brake parts

Post by C.Costine »

ppeters914 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:03 pm Dissassembling 3 sets of front brakes to find the best set to rebuild. Tedious, but somewhat satisfying. Unfortunately, what I'm finding highlights how important it is to flush your brake fluid every year or two. :(

I'm mainly concerned about storing the pistons and cylinders that I'm not using for the rebuild. Might keep 'em for spares, might sell them. I've removed the major rust and corrosion, then cleaned with brake cleaner.

Should I just store 'em dry open to the air (maybe wrapped in clean rag), dry in a ziplock bag, or spray with WD-40 or LPS3, then store in ziplock?

Thanks.

Let me say first that from my perspective frame off is a good way to go. I could have saved probably two years had I just taken the body right off. Because of the way those parts will attract moisture, If I were going to store some I would just coat them with some oil, put them in a small box and put them in my bottom bureau drawer.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
itsa68
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Storing disassembled brake parts

Post by itsa68 »

Use Castrol Red Rubber Grease to protect the cylinders inside and rubber parts during storage.
This grease was hard to find for awhile but I see its now available at such places as Amazon.
(Little packets of this grease use to be supplied with some automotive brake cylinder repair kits)

Cheers
Ray B.
Thats not a R16 death rattle....its a dried leaf hitting my heater blower fan.
1968 SPL311 non-smog
Curtis
Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Storing disassembled brake parts

Post by Curtis »

I used Sil Glyde silcone lubricant and zip lock bagged them.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.