Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

mblue97
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Steering box removal

Post by mblue97 »

Hi - I didn't see anything in the tec wiki that would help, but wondering if anyone has step by step instructions for removing a steering box (with pics even better!). I have a spare steering box for my 67 which is in much better shape than what's in there (yes I've tried adjusting the one in the car) and I don't want to take things apart that don't have to come apart, and I'm sure it will require some tools I don't have. Thanks in advance for any help.
David
1967 1600
1986 Porsche 944
1991 Celica convertible
jhayden
Site Supporter

Re: Steering box removal

Post by jhayden »

mblue97
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mblue97 »

Hi Jon - Thanks for the reply. So when it says to remove the cover, is this the 3 bolts where the steering column shaft connects? If so, does that mean you don't need to disconnect the steering shaft?
David
1967 1600
1986 Porsche 944
1991 Celica convertible
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

David,
Rallye has an excellent description with illustrations of the two types of steering boxes:

http://www.datsunroadster.com/PIC_PAGES ... B_info.htm

Unless yours has been changed out (highly unlikely), you have the Type A worm box, not the B recirc ball. The "top" Don refers to in his third sentence is pictured in the Rallye write-up as the "Type A Top Cover."

Other members may be able to offer other suggestions.
Jon
mblue97
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mblue97 »

Thanks again Jon. I have the early box. Still not sure how removing that cover will allow me to remove the box without removing the steering arm, but I guess it will make more sense if I try! Thanks again and of course I'm still open to receiving any more tips from any and everyone:)
David
1967 1600
1986 Porsche 944
1991 Celica convertible
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

David,
While we're waiting for others to respond, more good info and pics here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15612&p=123268&hili ... ng#p123268
mblue97
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mblue97 »

Thanks Jon. I did see that thread but now it's easier to find since it's attached to mine. Now I know something not to do as well! My name me question if I try the method of removing the top cover so I don't have to remove the pitman arm is this:. If I go with that method, I will be using the old shaft that the pitman arm is attached to with a different steering box. Does that part wear out? Will there be an issue of everything meshing up properly if I swap the rest of the box? Am I making sense?
David
1967 1600
1986 Porsche 944
1991 Celica convertible
RustBucket
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RustBucket »

I just recently did this same thing a few months ago. Not too hard. ...well the hardest part for me was getting the arm off the box shaft. No need to remove the box top. It's fairly easy to adjust the play with the box in or out.
1.Remove hood
2.Remove radiator and overflow tank.
3.Remove big nut from bottom of steering shaft connected to pitman arm.
4.Put lots of your favorite loosenerupper on the pitman arm. Soak overnight.
5.Put puller on the arm and crank on it. Mine still wouldn't come off even with some hammer taps. Cracked my puller. 10 second of heat from a propane torch and it popped off. Be sure to this before you loosen the three bolts that hold the box to the frame.
6.Remove bolt in steering wheel shaft cv joint and slide cv off the splined input shaft. I put a screw driver in the slot of the cv once the bolt was out to make it easier to remove.
7.Remove the three bolts that hold the box to the frame. As I recall one or two have nuts and one is a captive nut.
8.Pull out box.
9.Install is reverse. Sorry I don't have picts.
Good luck,
Rustbucket
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
67.5 1600
Orange County, CA
mblue97
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mblue97 »

Thanks Rustbucket! When I get to the steering column shaft, will that just push up out of the way with the steering wheel still attached?

I did find another problem..of the 3 bolts that hold the box in place, the one that you can see when you look straight down from the top is the problem. The nut and bolt spin together. This is the one that I don't see a way to get to the back side of it.
David
1967 1600
1986 Porsche 944
1991 Celica convertible
dynaguy
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dynaguy »

I just refreshed the steering box on '66 survivor. I believe the nut and bolt you are referring to is the adjusting bolt, does it have a slot in it?, it comes off with the top. Removal of the top greatly simplifies getting the steering box out. FWIW Pat
RustBucket
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RustBucket »

For the steering wheel shaft, I didn't take off the wheel, just pushed the shaft out a little.
The bolt you see from the top in my setup is a bolt with nut. In my case the bolt is pushed up from the bottom and the nut is on the top. As I recall I had to use a cv joint type piece on my ratchet drive to get at the bottom side bolt head. As I recall bolt head and nut were the same size.
Rustbucket
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
67.5 1600
Orange County, CA
mblue97
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mblue97 »

Thanks for everyone's help. I was mistaken about the bolt holding on the steering box. I was able to get to the other end of bolt from below. Also, I did not have to remove the top cover to get the box out since I was able to get the pitman arm off with a puller. I did soak it the night before in Kroil before I started. Anyway, the new old steering box is in. Need to put back the radiator now and get some antifreeze and distilled water.

Next project will be to install my dual Webers but that will wait until next year!
David
1967 1600
1986 Porsche 944
1991 Celica convertible