Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Anyone recognize this radiator?

Post by datsun65 »

I can see part of the issue...the filler neck is taller than my radiator.. That radiator also has the overflow tube in the spot where you normally find it on the 1600 roadster.

The filler neck on my radiator is shorter.

Here is a zoom in of your radiator. Look at the height of the neck.

Last edited by datsun65 on Sun May 10, 2020 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
Houston, TX
flying4fish
Roadster Nut
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by flying4fish »

I have to apologize to the Datsun Roadster community...I was able to get the radiator to fit, after all. Check the picture and note the underside of my hood. The previous owner welded some heavy wire mesh to the inside of the hood to stiffen it (I guess...can't think of any other reason), and that mesh was hitting the radiator. I clipped a section out and the hood closed! I was pretty relieved, since I had already done all the work to install the new one. FYI, this is not a Champion radiator, it's CHR Racing radiator that I bought off Amazon. However the bolt holes to mount the radiator were slightly off and had to be drilled, and the holes for mounting the fan were also off.

Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
datsun65
Roadsteraholic

Post by datsun65 »

That is great news! How is it cooling?
Dan
Houston, TX
flying4fish
Roadster Nut

Post by flying4fish »

Good question. I haven't driven it out of my driveway yet. One thing I discovered during this surgery is that I had no power to my fan. Looks like it was drawing power through a fan relay, but no temp sensor hooked up. So I hard wired it so it's on all the time. Not sure if I should try to figure out how to replace/repair/add a temp sensor or just drive it with fan on all the time. But one thing is certain, new radiator and fan on will definitely make it run much cooler! Work in progress...as I'm sure you all can relate to!

Aloha,
Michael
datsun65
Roadsteraholic

Post by datsun65 »

I'd run the fan through a relay, if possible. Additionally, you may wish to consider a thermostatic temperature switch, which allows you to adjust the temperature that triggers the fan to turn on.
Dan
Houston, TX
flying4fish
Roadster Nut

Post by flying4fish »

Any suggestions/part numbers? I've seen some aftermarket sensors that go into the radiator hose, but the KA24 must have a sensor somewhere that can be fixed? I do see a small spring coming out of a plug, and there's a wire in the center of that spring, but it's cut too short to splice. Perhaps that the sensor?

Michael