Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

flying4fish
Roadster Nut
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Anyone recognize this radiator?

Post by flying4fish »

I've posted more pics of my engine bay/radiator. The radiator in the pictures is the one that is coming out and it is not stock; the lower hose is on the passenger side instead of the drivers side of the radiator. Perhaps someone can suggest some radiator hoses to try when I install the new radiator with the stock hose configuration?

Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

If you have purchased the Champion radiator and are ditching the electric fan contact forum member "Krismon" he's got the orange KA-powered roadster and should be able to provide you with rad. hose part #s
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
flying4fish
Roadster Nut

Post by flying4fish »

I wasn't planning on ditching the fan. Others have done that and there's no overheating problems? Can that radiator be bolted in place without the fill cap hitting the hood, or does the attachment need to be lowered? I contacted Krismon, unfortunately he didn't keep track of the part numbers for the hoses...he just visited 6 or 7 shops with a cardboard template and searched until he found what would work. I might have to do the same. And he kept his fan.
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by datsun65 »

Some words of advise after spending many cycles trying to solve cooling issues with my KA24DE roadster.

- Make sure you have POWERFUL electric fan. The cheap fans simply do not move enough air through the radiators.I know the issue you are facing right now is a leaking radiator. But once you get to non-project building driving, this may be an issue..

- Make sure you are using a low temp thermostat. I'd recommend a 'Drifting' thermostat which is commonly used (154 Degree). The KA engine in stock form runs really warm, like 210 degrees. But, in a roadster set-up, you will generally see bigger swings in temperatures. I'd expect with the 154 degree thermostat, you'd be running in the 185-190 Range.

- The champion Radiator will fit. It is tight and may need some basic mods.

- Check the Electric fan turn on switch. Make sure it turns on at a good temperature.

Good luck!
Dan
Houston, TX
flying4fish
Roadster Nut

Post by flying4fish »

Thanks for the advice, Dan. A couple of question...in search of specific information. Can you recommend a low profile fan that has the power that is required? Do you think it would be easier to use a different radiator that does not have that fill cap on top (it might fit easier). My current radiator does not have a fill cap...I had to put an in-line filler since the reservoir cap is lower than the radiator. And lastly, can you suggest part numbers for the radiator hoses that will work? I have to completely re-plumb the cooling system since the location of the upper and lower hose fitting are not stock with my current radiator (lower hose on passenger side instead of driver's side). It's actually much easier to plumb the way my radiator is now, but I can't find one like it to replace it.

Michael
datsun65
Roadsteraholic

Post by datsun65 »

Michael,

Whether you utilize a 1600 (No Fill Cap on Radiator) or a 2000 Radiator (with Fill Cap on Radiator), both should be pretty close to the same dimensions.

I'll take some photos of my KA24DE car this weekend for you.

Prior to the Champion radiators, many folks used a radiator from a Honda Del Sol. Here is a picture of my engine bay with the Del Sol set-up from about 15 years ago. At the time, I used a factory sized made to fit electric fan for the Del Sol Radiator.

DSCF9714.jpg

and here is a picture of the inlet/outlet on the same radiator (15 years later)

IMG_20200426_114027176_HDR.jpg
Dan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan
Houston, TX
flying4fish
Roadster Nut

Post by flying4fish »

My older radiator looks very much like the Honda radiator, except it does not have a fill cap. The new one I bought looks just like a Champion, but I got it off Amazon from CHRACING. It's a 3-row radiator...probably a copy of the Champion. But since my lower hose now has to move, I'm looking for the hoses that will work, and perhaps a lower profile fan to give me more room.

Michael
datsun65
Roadsteraholic

Post by datsun65 »

And, just so you know...fitting in a radiator into a swap isn't always the easiest thing.

My son has a Roadster with a KA swp underway. I've also ordered the Champions SRL311 2000 radiator. The fabricator working on the engine mounts/fitment let me know the radiator wasn't fitting. He sent me the following photo:

123951_06.jpg

Looks like my 18 Inch tall radiator is sitting 10 inches too high! I'm sure we'll get it figured out.
Dan
Houston, TX
datsun65
Roadsteraholic

Post by datsun65 »

My older radiator looks very much like the Honda radiator, except it does not have a fill cap
The Honda Del Sol Radiators are SO, SO inexpensive now. I just purchased one for a project car 3 weeks ago. It was $35 shipped to the house.

The Del Sol required me to add some extra fill panels on the left and right of both sides of the radiator (since the honda isn't as wide,side-to-side). These panels were merely to prevent air deflection during highway speeds.
Dan
Houston, TX
flying4fish
Roadster Nut

Post by flying4fish »

I don't think that radiator is really sitting in it's final position...that mounting hole would never be that high! Nonetheless, it might be easier to install one without the fill cap. I will try to jam mine in over the WE...if it doesn't fit, I'll get one without the cap; I already have an in-line filler since my old radiator doesn't have a fill cap.
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

datsun65 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:34 pm And, just so you know...fitting in a radiator into a swap isn't always the easiest thing.

My son has a Roadster with a KA swp underway. I've also ordered the Champions SRL311 2000 radiator. The fabricator working on the engine mounts/fitment let me know the radiator wasn't fitting. He sent me the following photo:

123951_06.jpg

Looks like my 18 Inch tall radiator is sitting 10 inches too high! I'm sure we'll get it figured out.
It is sitting on the front crossmember.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
flying4fish
Roadster Nut

Post by flying4fish »

I have to agree. I just picked up my Roadster from a local shop (trying, unsuccessfully, to fix my horn) and took some measurements. I'm going to have to return the new radiator and get one without a fill cap. I don't know how others have fit that radiator into the car, with or without a swap.
datsun65
Roadsteraholic

Post by datsun65 »

Don't return the radiator yet, it will fit. It is very tight, but it will fit.

Here are the pictures of my 1966 SPL311 with KA24DE Engine with Champion Radiator.

Overview

Topside, Leftside and Right Side

Bottom of Radiator:

Dan
Houston, TX
datsun65
Roadsteraholic

Post by datsun65 »

It is sitting on the front crossmember.
Yes, in my son's red KA24DE roadster it is comically sitting on the cross member. It cracked up when I saw the picture.
Dan
Houston, TX
flying4fish
Roadster Nut

Post by flying4fish »

SUCCESS??? NO!!

I went for it. Yanked out the old radiator and dropped in the new. It doe NOT fit! It looks great, but I can't close my hood. I'm sure someone could start torching and welding to make it work somehow...but really??..that would cost a hell of a lot more than just buying the radiator without the fill cap. Unfortunately there's enough cosmetic damage to this one (few bent fins) that I can no longer send it back. If someone wants it...let me know...pay for shipping and you can have it (it's actually 3/4" shorter than the Champion). So today I buy another.

Aloha,
Michael
IMG_1220.jpg
IMG_1219.jpg
IMG_1218.jpg
IMG_1217.jpg
IMG_1216.jpg