Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

flying4fish
Roadster Nut
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Anyone recognize this radiator?

Post by flying4fish »

I have a '68 1600 that has had an engine swap: KA24. I bought it as a project-in-progress, and I have slowly finished it and made it road worthy. The swap was done by the previous owner, so I don't have all the details about parts used. My radiator has started to leak and I want to replace it, but it does not look like the original/stock radiator. I can't find any identifying logos or part numbers on it. Can anyone ID it by these pictures? I want to buy a replacement that will just bolt right in without further modifications. Here are the approximate dimensions: 15.25 wide 2.75 thick 16.75 high.

Aloha,
Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Re: Anyone recognize this radiator?

Post by Alvin »

It looks like a standard 1600/SPL radiator, albeit with a modified upper hose

Several options:
1) Get yours fixed/re-cored by a local rad shop
2) drop in a replacement 1600 or 2000 radiator.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
flying4fish
Roadster Nut

Post by flying4fish »

Thank you! Yes, I can see now why the hose was modified. I don't have that filler that looks like it is bolted to the motor. So the other filler, on the driver's side, is below the top of the radiator and can't be opened without losing fluid. So the hose has a filler in it instead. But I'm glad you figured out it is a stock radiator. I looked at a pic of one on ebay and it didn't look the same.
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

flying4fish wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:45 pm Thank you! Yes, I can see now why the hose was modified. I don't have that filler that looks like it is bolted to the motor. So the other filler, on the driver's side, is below the top of the radiator and can't be opened without losing fluid. So the hose has a filler in it instead. But I'm glad you figured out it is a stock radiator. I looked at a pic of one on ebay and it didn't look the same.
Can't help you further unless we see your entire engine bay. For reference, here's what others have done with KA24s... from stock 2000 radiators (these have a built-in filler neck) to aftermarket aluminum:

Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
flying4fish
Roadster Nut

Post by flying4fish »

Hi Alvin,

Sorry, but I did not get a notification that you responded, so I'm just seeing this. I'm still having issues. I bought a replacement radiator for a '68 SP311, but the hose fitting at the bottom of the radiator is on the driver's side, and my existing radiator has that hose fitting on the same side as the return hose (passenger side). So I can't see how it can easily be plumbed without hitting something. My existing (but failing) radiator has both the upper and lower hoses on the passenger side. I can't see how the lower portion was plumbed in your pics. I will take more pics of my own setup if you need to see them, but can't happen until next week since I took it to a local mechanic to help me with a horn issue. Here's a link to the radiator I just bought: https://www.amazon.com/Roadster-Fairlad ... =8-2-fkmr0.

Aloha,
Michael
flying4fish
Roadster Nut

Post by flying4fish »

Apparently the forum did not like me pasting a link...it didn't come through. But if you go to Amazon and search "3 Row For Datsun Roadster Fairlady Aluminum Radiator 1966-1970 1969 1968 1967" you will see it.
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Here's another KA with radiator plumbing clearly shown. It even has the generic Champion radiator:
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
flying4fish
Roadster Nut

Post by flying4fish »

Thank you Alvin, but do you have any pics of the plumbing coming out of the bottom of the radiator? That is where my problem lies. Do those radiators have a lower hose fitting on the passenger side, or driver's side? My failing radiator has the bottom fitting on the passenger side, but my replacement has it on the driver's side...plumbing from that position seems problematic.

Michael
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

flying4fish wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:16 pm Thank you Alvin, but do you have any pics of the plumbing coming out of the bottom of the radiator? That is where my problem lies. Do those radiators have a lower hose fitting on the passenger side, or driver's side? My failing radiator has the bottom fitting on the passenger side, but my replacement has it on the driver's side...plumbing from that position seems problematic.

Michael
Stock 2L radiator. Factory, driver's side bottom inlet from water pump:
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Stock 2L radiator. Factory, driver's side bottom inlet from water pump:

Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
flying4fish
Roadster Nut

Post by flying4fish »

OK, I did not choose my words carefully enough. The radiator example you posted is what I bought, but the radiator in my car now has both the upper and lower hose fittings on the passenger side. So I cannot just pull one out and hook up the new one. In fact, it's hard for me to see how the lower hose can be plumbed from the driver's side with all the moving parts it must pass near to get where it has to go. It would be great to see pics of that lower hose.

Michael
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

You can see it here:
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
flying4fish
Roadster Nut

Post by flying4fish »

I can't see it that well, but I've got enough confidence to try it . And I'm glad to see there's enough clearance for that filler on the top of the radiator, since that it the one I bought, and my existing one doesn't have it. I was concerned about that too.

Michael