Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

tcslc
Roadster Nut
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Steering wheel restoration

Post by tcslc »

My steering wheel is looking pretty ugly, and in need of restoration. Restoration seems to be a bit pricey on these, and I have a few questions that'd greatly help in the process.
1) Are NOS steering wheels unobtanium, and if they aren't what do they typically cost?
2) Are the spokes supposed to be chrome or black? I honestly can't tell on mine
3) Has anyone used Steering Wheel Bob (NJ) or Gary's Steering Wheel Restoration (PA) services?

Thanks!
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Steering wheel restoration

Post by Gregs672000 »

I have not heard of any NOS wheels available, but you could go to the vendors page and contact those great Folks! They'll know what's out there and what it might cost. Also, do a search on this site for steering wheel as a subject or key word and you'll find several posts of what folks have done over the years. The tech wiki may also give wheel adaptor part numbers etc. There lots of pics to check out too!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
MattC
Roadster Fanatic

Post by MattC »

I’m in the middle of refinishing my steering wheel as we speak. I believe the spokes should be unpainted but I’m going to try mine black. I can always go back pretty easily. The center hub and spokes are semi-gloss. I filled in a few cracks and I’m about to paint the rim with Eastwood’s 2-part spray cans gloss chassis black and then covering with the same in gloss clear coat. Just waiting on some other bodywork on my pickup truck, the tailgate has some small dents and scratches and since it is also black, it seemed like a good time to paint both. Once you activate the 2-part spray, you have less than 48 hrs to use it.
E31FA8FA-3BFD-4EDB-A054-AD5F76A1B3D0.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt

1970 2000 #14204
2004 350Z Roadster
2014 Tundra

Williamsville, NY
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

I bought a NOS wheel from Japan last year. Spokes are supposed to be black. OBTW, horn pad trim ring is a painted pearlescent white, not clear or silver, or clear with silver painted on the backside...

Also, had “Steering Wheel Bob” restore another wheel about five years ago. He does amazing work, result is actually a little nicer than the NOS wheel, but he is not cheap. Expect a lowball estimate on the phone, with a jack on the price after you send it to him.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

Expect a lowball estimate on the phone, with a jack on the price after you send it to him.
I think he just does that for lawyers....
joke,joke,joke 8)
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

Linda wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:33 am
Expect a lowball estimate on the phone, with a jack on the price after you send it to him.
I think he just does that for lawyers....
joke,joke,joke 8)
Linda
:lol: Yeah, probably looked me up and gave me the special surcharge.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
tcslc
Roadster Nut
Model: 2000

Post by tcslc »

I spoke with Steering Wheel Bob and will see how much he wants for the work after his inspection. Fortunately, he's relatively close by. He told me about a Rolls Royce wheel he has on the bench, and given J Baker's experience I was sure to reinforce that the Roadster, while beloved, is no where in the same realm and hope to see the work priced accordingly :) .
Related, but slightly off-topic, he said he'd be able to address the shifter knob, but I'm concerned about the chrome plated part. Mine definitely needs replated. Bob said that often the plastic was molded directly on top of the chrome finish metal on shift knobs. Is that the case with ours, or can the chrome base be safely removed from the black plastic, and if so, how? If it can't, can it be rechromed as one piece without damaging the plastic? Searched but did not find. Thanks all!