Alternator question

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Fairlady5150

Alternator question

Post by Fairlady5150 »

I'm hoping somebody may be able to provide some guidance on an alternator replacement. I have a '68 1600 with an early (not sure of year) 1.6 engine. The alternator is mounted on the upper passenger side of the block, and has the four-wire connector. Bench tested good at the part store, but the wires to the harness are frayed badly. This site has a great page with lots of alternator information, but none of them appear to mount direct without some fabrication. The existing mount fastens to the block with three bolts, and requires a 3-7/8" gap between the lower mounting 'ears' on the alternator. But all of the alternators I've looked at based on the info on this page have a gap of about 3" for the lower mounting ears. I could pull the mount off and hack at it, but then I'd have to alter the upper mounting bracket as well. So my question is - do I have some kind of odd-ball lower alternator mount? Unfortunately the tag on the alternator isn't legible either, but it appears to be a Mitsubishi. Took it to a local re-builder, but he's having trouble identifying it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Alternator question

Post by redroadster »

I see clear vinyl alloy speaker wire and 16 guage? lamp cord. for wiring ..Yikes. Thats one for the sins of previous owners post.
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Daryl Smith
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Daryl Smith »

Just checked.
That is the correct size for a stock mount. You are likely comparing to the mounts which have been modified for newer alternators...
Fairlady5150

Post by Fairlady5150 »

redroadster wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:04 pm I see clear vinyl alloy speaker wire and 16 guage? lamp cord. for wiring ..Yikes. Thats one for the sins of previous owners post.
redroadster you are correct. Some serious hackery here. Had the car about a year, and every time I find something like this I just shake my head. I'm talking with Curtis about new harnesses, so I'm atoning for the sins of previous owners :-)
Fairlady5150

Post by Fairlady5150 »

Daryl Smith wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:25 pm Just checked.
That is the correct size for a stock mount. You are likely comparing to the mounts which have been modified for newer alternators...
Daryl Smith Thanks.
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Please don't hack up your mount (puts you in sins of the PO dept.) This page should help:

https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/shop-10

Specifically this one is direct fit.

https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.c ... ty-rebuild

Jt
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by jrusso07 »

I think I might have the alternator wire pigtail (wires and connector) if you are just interested in replacing that. Let me know if interested and I will look around in the parts stash. If I have it, it's yours for shipping. PM me
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311