My car has a fever.

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: My car has a fever.

Post by Gregs672000 »

redroadster wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:51 am I met Frank Zappa in 1980 , talked to him briefly...
He thanked me for bringing back his/their big purse, 1 pound ? of weed
Frank was a very talented and unique individual. Not everyone liked his music (I didn't like some of it!) but it was always entertaining and extremely complicated to play. People probably remember "Valley Girl" which was a commercial success though not an example of their musical talent. What's surprising is that, despite his look, it's my understanding that he himself did not do drugs of any kind (can't speak for the band though). Frank loved to make fun of "the system" and was a non-conformist, poking fun at overly conservative government, hypocrisy in the church, music industry execs and anything else that tried to tell you how to live YOUR life without pushing his view on others. "Joes Garage" was a double album that hit all those subjects, and was a staple for long road trips.

So to update things, I checked the wiring etc again and am convinced it's the sender. Ordered a new one, along with a new oil pressure sender since I have some suspicion about it as well as posted elsewhere. I'll update when they arrive and installed.
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by jrusso07 »

:wink: Weed? Frank? No!

Did you watch the video? :wink:

It can’t be :D :D
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by redroadster »

Well Ok since you asked
Frank zappa came to a house nearby that a old friend musician had . he came to play a concert.in town .KC.
A guy came around on a motorcycle telling that Zappa was going to be at a home 2 streets over and play a while .

I roommared with a coworker guy that had the townhome nearby,.he moved his sister in too
Her and I went to see it at the house they played /practiced most of his songs until cops came after 1000 people arrived .
Frank had everyone watching at first form a winding line. ( its not a crowd if your in a single man line, cant be dispersed by cops)
a big purse gets passed around Full of weed many big buds , The fuzz moved in to break up after a mob of fans assended . this sister was holding the purse did not know what was in it , she very country .

As I catch up to her walking back home she discovers the weed. As we near police and we play hot potato trying to give each other the purse back . the cops looked at us funny, one asked her if I was bothering her. but we made it back to the townhouse. .
her brother demanding I get rid of the weed . I drove back to the home , knock on the door a naked hottie , out of the shower says to me, your to early come back at 6:30 .

I put the purse in a grocery bag and food boxes on top and returned then. With the band playing loud music They
though I was invited. Frank finally adked who I was , I brought you weed back , told him how it happened . they all laughed and smiled ...the red wine was passed around as was weed ....I partied with Frank Zappa !
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Ha! Great Story! Well, you may know better than I what influenced Frank's Music! Thanks for sharing!
I played several songs from Joes Garage for my wife yesterday... ya know, socially acceptable tunes like "Crew Slut" and "Catholic Girls"...
I also watched a drummer discuss and play "The Black Page", thought to be one of the most difficult pieces of music to be written, let alone played.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
spyder
Model: 2000

Post by spyder »

What is your gas gauge doing? It is possible your gauge regulator is stuck on.
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

spyder wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:21 am What is your gas gauge doing? It is possible your gauge regulator is stuck on.
Thanks for the thought, but the gas gauge is acting normally. The new sender arrived yesterday, plan to install it today... nothing else do, can't leave the house!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Ok, so I went to install the new sensor, a Standard Brands TS69 which is looks exactly the same as any I can find posted as for a U20 or an R16 on any site. Only mine is different of course... looks almost the same except that the sensor end is different, as the shaft (the part that's in the coolant) steps down to a smaller diameter than the TS69. It starts off the same, but then steps down as though it fits into a mount. The TS69 won't fit through the hole into the mount and I wasn't about to force it. It goes some ways then stops. I'm wondering if an original 67.5 2000 transmitter housing is different than later? Or maybe the hole itself is corroded enough to make it too tight for the shaft, and I just happened to have another aftermarket sensor in there already that just came with the smaller shaft (?). I have not tried to clean things etc as coolant drains out or course. I just put the old sensor back in for now to plug the hole.

Just asking before I go through the trouble of taking it apart further or draining off coolant etc.
Below is a useful link that shows different sensors. The TS69 looks exactly like these. Unfortunately none of these match the one in my car now. The only thing it said on my sensor was Made in Japan.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki ... ransmitter
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA