Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Wire Harness Cleaning/resto questions

Post by Linda »

How was the installation of the harness in the dash? Did you employ child labor? lol
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Curtis
Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

There's this for the console harness.

http://kendo-usa.org/datsun/datsun_cons ... _69_70.pdf
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
todd lorber
Roadsteraholic

Post by todd lorber »

I thought I'd post here since it is related:

I'm cleaning up some of the wiring connections on my '69. The terminals/connectors on the #10 wire that runs from the alternator to the fuse box were melted and "mickey-rigged" together. My question is: can the blade terminals really handle the current that flows through that heavy wire? It seems the cross sectional area of the thin brass is nowhere near what the wire is. Does anyone know if there are some beefier terminals that are more likely to handle the current? Even if I have to bypass the stock 6 pin connector, I'd rather have a connection that I know will not fail again.

Thanks.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Yes, there are heavier terminals. I think Vintage Connections has them. In the white connector shell I had a bigger terminal spade then had to file it down to match the length of the regular size spades . The bigger terminals female and male, “grip” the wire better. Hopefully you have a good crimper. The one I had before did not do a great job on these type wire terminals. The Vintage Connection crimper is made for this type and do a much better job once you get used to it. Good to buy baggies of terminals.
I have some terminals and crimper if you need them.
I have new harnesses from Curtis so won’t need to crimp for a while :D :D :D
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

He's getting some new wiring too but I have 12 people that want wiring right now. I have partially built harnesses all over the place. I just wasted 4 hours building 4 console harnesses. 128 total terminals.
66 stroker, almost done.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

You need an employee, Curtis.
Lots of people to choose from these days....

Linda
todd lorber
Roadsteraholic

Post by todd lorber »

Thanks, All. I emailed Matthew at Vintage Connections. They have "tinned" spade terminals that should handle a bit more load. He said the standard brass ones are good for 35 amps continuous, but I have my doubts on that. Thankfully most circuits done require anything close to that.
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

The brass connector is not the problem. Every one I've seen so far is related to the wire. Fraying, melting, etc. I use the brass and seal it with a touch of solder. The tinned ones just don't fit without a bunch of fiddling. I buy brass ones from Japan sized for 12-10 gauge.
66 stroker, almost done.