Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Mikuni Carbs Type2, Type3, and Type4

Post by S Allen »

Dave P drug out some Mikuni carbs to show me the difference between the type2, type3 and type4 Mikuni carburetors. Thought I would share the pics.
mikuni-carbs1.jpg
mikuni-carbs2.jpg
mikuni-carbs3.jpg
Direct any questions to Dave P.

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Mikuni Carbs Type2, Type3, and Type4

Post by Gregs672000 »

I note the type 4 have externally adjustable floats. Not often needed but nice to have. Fuel level influences how the emulsion tubes operate.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Thanks for posting these Steve and Premo!
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

There is a 4th variation that looks identical to the type 4, but has a slightly different jet cover and a couple other small details. They are late production models that say Mikuni on the jet cover rather than SOLEX or Mikuni SOLEX. They use slightly different gaskets (I've got two sets of gaskets that don't fit my type 4s. I didn't realize there was a difference until I got the gaskets and found they didn't fit anything.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

If I get lucky and upgrade from Type2s to a 3 or 4 is it as simple, functionally, to just R&R the carbs or will I need to modify something to make them work?
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

2mAn wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:36 pm If I get lucky and upgrade from Type2s to a 3 or 4 is it as simple, functionally, to just R&R the carbs or will I need to modify something to make them work?
Everything should swap over, but there might be a slight difference in the linkage as well as how the fuel lines are run. One other thing will be whether or not the new carbs are homogeneous or independent type (Type 2s are independent. If you have the other type you will need a set of #8 jet blocks.)

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by david premo »

If the type 2’s still have the original throttle shafts then you will need new linkage. Other than that everything else will work.
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

david premo wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:05 am If the type 2’s still have the original throttle shafts then you will need new linkage. Other than that everything else will work.
Can you show me the difference between the linkages? I have to assume mine are still the original ones.

Thanks
Simon
Current Cars:
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by david premo »

Simon,
the difference is in the throttle shaft of the early carbs, they are clocked differently than the latter units. So if you switch to the latter style 3 or 4 carbs, you will need new linkage.
Dave
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

david premo wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:55 am Simon,
the difference is in the throttle shaft of the early carbs, they are clocked differently than the latter units. So if you switch to the latter style 3 or 4 carbs, you will need new linkage.
Dave
Isn’t that the same thing I’d have to do if I were to get Webers or nearly any other carb for that matter? That’s a bit disappointing
Simon
Current Cars:
cromgnman
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by cromgnman »

I have twin Mikuni HSR carbs. http://www.mikunipower.com/HSR01.htm
I am attempting to tune the twin carbs. At 5500 RPMs in 5th gear (approx 95 MPH) the
engine stutters as if it is not receiving enough fuel.

I have changed the main jets from 160 all the way to 200 in increments of 10.
Finally at 200 I did not see any change from the 190 jets.

There are 2 possibilities:
1. carb is not opening completely (linkage)
2. fuel pump is not delivering enough fuel. (electric fuel pump - mechanical not working)
P1010729.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Ain't tuning carbs fun? I'm afraid I know nothing about this model of carbs, but from years of tuning I can tell you that a wide band air/fuel ratio meter is THE way to go. Yes, there's some expense and hassle involved in this, namely the cost of the unit (which has dropped considerably for what you would need), getting a bung welded into the collector at an acceptable angle and finding a place to mount the gauge (even temporarily) but this takes away a lot of the guess work. You will KNOW exactly what the ratio is and what direction to go with jetting/adjustments EVERYWHERE.
The engine could also be too rich. On Thursday we went into the mountains in cold weather. I already know I'm running a bit rich on top, and the recent addition of much bigger pump jets combined with the cold weather and altitude would create some bog if I hit it hard, especially in 5th. My meter confirmed that with readings in the 10 to 1 range. I also noted that i could probably lean the slow speed system a step down now that I have an effective accelerator pump system, as I had been compensating for it before with a richer overall mix (ratio was showing in the high 12s to low 13s at 3200rpms in 5th, light load. Too rich for that demand, wastes fuel and pollutes more). I could write a book on how much the wide band has helped me, so as a fellow tinkerer I encourage you to consider one.
Regarding the throttle being fully open, I hear you on That! I recently discovered that I was only getting 80% throttle due to wear on the accelerator pedal... I even ran it on the dyno like that! It's easy enough to check that by locking the pedal in place (or having a friend hold the pedal down) while looking down the throats. Can't tell you how much difference full throttle makes... can hardly wait to run it on the dyno again. On the dyno it would still hit over 6000rpm in 4th with 80% throttle before he would cut it off, but now it hits 7000+rpm, and much more quickly, so do check.
I know this may not help you much, but you really need objective data to sort things out, as otherwise you're just guessing. I have a box full of Dellorto jets that I'll never use from all that guessing!
Does it rev to redline otherwise? Ignition system working well? What cam are you running?
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
eastmedia
Site Supporter

Post by eastmedia »

Just put on dual weber 40s. Seem to be running well, but I am having difficulty getting the full range of throttle, as the roadster gas pedal does not provide enough travel to fully activate the linkage. Any ideas how I can get more travel? A pully system or something?
Ron
66 1600 Cherry
69 1600 Beast
69 2000 Rough
67.5 1600 Basket Case (in the family)
66 1600 race car (Steve Allen's)
70 1600 survivor (sold 2020)
68 1600 Beauty (sold 2014)
68 1600 My first (sold 1991)
nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Post by nismou20 »

The HSR carbs have 3 or 5 increment adjustments on the needles I believe. Also since they were originally gravity fed carbs for bikes they don’t need a whole lot of pressure. My quad RS40 only needed less than 1 psi. Make sure your slides open completely at full throttle and adjust the limit screw for that.
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
1995 Toyota Tercel (Poormans Corolla)
2001 Fleetwood Jamboree RV
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

eastmedia wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:46 pm Just put on dual weber 40s. Seem to be running well, but I am having difficulty getting the full range of throttle, as the roadster gas pedal does not provide enough travel to fully activate the linkage. Any ideas how I can get more travel? A pully system or something?
What I had to do for a temporary fix is to move the cable mount (the arm that bolts to the passenger side of the trans tunnel) forward to allow more travel for the pedal. It has two bolts holding it in, I just moved it one forward and it's solid with one bolt holding it. You lose the hand throttle as there won't be enough cable to allow it to hook up, but this allows the arm that pulls the throttle to move toward the engine and give you more range of motion. You will need to adjust the cable where it attaches at the carb. Look down the throats, actuate the carb linkage and look to see at what point the plates are fully open, and adjust things accordingly making sure you 1) get full throttle, 2) you don't over-clock the throttle plates (i.e. go past fully open, they probably have a stop), and check that you're pedal is to the floor and movement is being stopped by the pedal hitting the floor (there's an adjustment bolt on the floor) and not relying on the carbs to stop motion which puts stress on the linkage (adjust your cable where it attaches to the carb).

As noted, this is a temporary fix. I plan to modify my cable mount so as to allow more forward motion but being bolted to the tunnel correctly with two bolts. You may also want to take a close look at where your pedal bolts to the arm, as that area wears and creates slop. I was not able to improve this enough to get full throw.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA