Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

gtrbg
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Header and oil cooler canister info

Post by gtrbg »

New to the site. Just picked up what appears to be a 1969 Datsun Roadster race car with a U20 motor with Solex carbs, finned oil pan and LSD rear. It has what appears to be a Datsun Competition like oil cooler set up with a canister type filter (Not spin on). Anyone seen this before or know the oil filter canister parts numbers?

It also has a header that has 4 pipes snaking above and below the frame. The 4 pipes terminate in the drivers front wheel well without a collector. Seems unusual, loud and good for roasting marshmallows or the tire. Looking for how to connect to an exhaust. Suggestions? Hope to vintage race it.

Have reached out to a great vendor already to pick up repair parts and upgrades for the brakes and electrical system. Seems to be a good car community supporting roadsters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Header and oil cooler canister info

Post by Gregs672000 »

Welcome to our site! We're pretty much a family here and you won't find a more welcoming bunch of rabid car owners anywhere. Feel free to ask any questions and we'll do our best to help. We also have an extensive and growing wiki you can search. Post some more pics or information on the car, maybe share your general level of car knowledge, etc as that helps us help you.
Regarding the header, ah... I doubt it ever hooked up to an exhaust system, so plan to spend some time or cash there. Others know the oil cooler stuff much better than I. I'd be interested to know more about the motor, what series of carbs it's running (more to help you if needed), cam, etc. We can also suggest some things to check that are not obvious if unfamiliar with the U20.
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Mike Unger

Post by Mike Unger »

Welcome. Yes, post some more photos. The header is missing the pieces that join the the four pipes to the collector and then it should go to exhaust between the rocker and frame on the driver's side. This is a BRE or BRE style header. The pipe above the frame should have a right angle piece that slips on there to bring it down to join the other pipes lower below the frame. The spin on oil filter and adapter is an old Datsun competition option part to connect to the oil cooler. I vintage race a roadster and will try to help if I can.

Mike

I meant to say canister not spin on oil filter adapter above. These were the earlier version for the oil cooler adapter before the spin on versions. I believe you can use the same filter cartridge available for the 1500 and early 1600s that used a replaceable element.

Alvin has provided some nice photos (of course...) that show what I was trying to explain. You probably will notice the braces between the rocker and frame have been removed or modified for the exhaust to route there.
Last edited by Mike Unger on Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Unger
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Cool!
Post pictures of the entire car!

The BRE-style exhaust, runs out the side along the rocker
Lightweight:

Bob Studdard car:
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Mike Unger

Post by Mike Unger »

Here's some photos of a BRE header to show how the tubes need to come together to fit in a collector. This one is for a 1600 but it should give you an idea of the pieces you need to fabricate for your car to use what you have.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Unger
gtrbg
Roadster Fanatic

Post by gtrbg »

Thanks for the help from everyone.

Mike : Lynn and Jim from Datsun Restoration Parts say hello. They have been a big help to me on ideas and some specialty parts I needed. They also said you had a lot of knowledge about Roadsters.

Sorry do not have great photos yet and just a few taken around when car dropped off. Will be racing in the NY area. I am a new member of VSCCA and drove a Austin Healy Bugeye at a few events last year and will continue to run it. My brother has a 1965 1600 he has raced for the past few years. He let me borrow it for one event last year and it is a great car. Hope to run the Datsun at a hill climb or two and some of the VSCCA event run with other clubs that allow newer cars.

Car is from California and has a SCCA Hawaii medallion so it spent some time in warm climates only to end up in NY. Need to get an enclosed trailer to replace my open one to coddle it a bit. It’s banged up a bit but really solid and by NY standards rust free...

Car needs some work but runs ok, trans seems ok, no brakes but hope to fix that soon. Need to find a muffler shop to make a collector since I imagine no one sells them.
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

That was the car on ebay, a member here had an agreed price and looks like he sold it to you.
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Wow, I sure learned something... never seen a BRE header or exhaust system. Cool stuff!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic

Post by jrusso07 »

Very cool stuff! Is that a covered vent coming out of the side of the cam cover? Or...?

Where are you in NY? Will you be racing at Watkins Glen?
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
gtrbg
Roadster Fanatic

Post by gtrbg »

The pictures are really helpful and gives me a good idea of what needs to be done. Do like the side exit exhaust and need to find a bullet muffler narrow enough to fit between frame and rocker. Thanks for the pictures.
gtrbg
Roadster Fanatic

Post by gtrbg »

Joe- Not sure why that vent is there. Looks like a Edelbrock breather. But there is already a breather hose. Need to figure that out to make sure it doesn’t leak. Assuming the car is done I may go to the VRG event in October at the Glen. My brother has gone the past two years. I am located in Westchester NY.
cole455
Roadsteraholic

Post by cole455 »

A bit surprised that no one has decided to copy these headers yet. Looks like a neat find, congrats.

The oil cooler is neat! Although, it seems most racers have switched towards a more modern alternative.

Post more pics of the entire car!
gtrbg
Roadster Fanatic

Post by gtrbg »

Slowly working on race car. Did pick up a parts car with the rare mossy oak camouflage interior .
gtrbg
Roadster Fanatic

Post by gtrbg »

Slowly getting the Datsun U20 back on the road. DatsunRestoration Parts (Lynn and Jim) have been great supplying parts, answering my sometimes dumb questions, and hopefully keeping me from making mistakes.

Removed the evil L and added spacers.
gtrbg
Roadster Fanatic

Post by gtrbg »

2A4C0B19-0C0E-4685-850B-C7B8D0D09AA5.jpeg