4spd tranny questions

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

dynaguy
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

4spd tranny questions

Post by dynaguy »

Not really much experience with transmissions. What input on determining condition based on these pics, Syncros etc? There is some play in countershaft. TIA Pat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mackn367
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: 4spd tranny questions

Post by Mackn367 »

Hey Pat. I just had my hands in there the other day haha. So I was advised by JT @ DatsunRestorationProducts to replace my counter shaft - which I did. I recommend taking yours out and inspecting it. I guess that's a common piece that needs to get replaced if it's original. You will know when you pull it out if it needs to be replaced. Mine actually wasn't terrible but I still replaced the shaft along with new bearings (since I was already there) and I recommend the same.

Edit: Oh and when you remove the gear and counter shaft don't forget to save the metal washers on each end and remember their orientation and which side each was on. Tech wiki will help you if you forget to make a note.

Take care!
- Nick
Nick
1967.5 Roadster 1600
VIN: SPL311-13038
Orange County, CA
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

I look at the blocker ring splines those look in sharp shape not wiped rounded, try to see feel if any caged bearings are loose, Any wear on the shift forks , you can punch out the roll pins and shift move the sleeves to see how easy it goes 1st to 2nd & 3t4th
With it much work to try , it would be worth riging up a belt drive on the imput shaft to feel the shifting
Loose belt
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
jarhead
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by jarhead »

I just went through this. Countershaft is common wear item that should be replaced if any question. Was there any concern when the car was driving? Its' tough to tell by looking. But driving problems are a better gauge.
Lee
'66 SPL311-00676
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

If there is any play in the countershaft, you need to fix it-gear destruction comes next and without warning.
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!