Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

69roadster
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Wiring help

Post by 69roadster »

I am installing a complete wiring harness in my 67.5 SPL, and having a lot of issues.
the headlight doesn't work with the switch when I hook up the wiring on the headlight relay like it shows in the schematic in the tech wiki. The turn single, flasher, front park light, fog light , and gas gauge are not working. I tested an there not any voltages at the front park lights, and fog light
When the headlight and horn relay are hooked up as shown in the schematic the horn blows all the time, but the light don't come on. I made a drawing of how the horn and light relays were hooked up before I removed the old harness. I tried hooking up like they were. When the they are hooked like before the headlight comes on and stays on. with out the light switch being turn on and the horn relay gets very hot. I removed one of the wire off the horn relay and the headlight goes off. I think the headlights are running off the horn relay. any ideas on what I'm doing wrong.
Please bare as I'm not good at typing and putting my thoughts onto words

Things that are working
Dash lights
3 of the tail lights
Blower motor
Wiper motor
The Neck
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600

Re: Wiring help

Post by The Neck »

I spent about 6 hours this weekend working on the wiring on mine. What I did was pull up the wiring schematic, or better yet print it out on a very large sheet of paper, and go circuit by circuit. I started at my fuse block, made sure all the "incoming" supplies had power, then checked the fuses, then moved down each specific circuit. I found a couple blown fuses right off the bat, then some faulty grounds as I made my way through the turn signals and flashers.

I would print it out in color very large, and eliminate a circuit at a time. I have the same car and found this to be the best approach for myself. These cars are incredibly simple so it wasn't too bad.

When you find a switch that's not working for example, pull it apart, clean it, and see if you can "refurbish" it. I had a terrible time with my flasher switch and by disassembling, cleaning, and putting it back together, I fixed it and saved myself however much.

For your horn and headlight issue, I'd guess you have a mix up at the fuse block, and the horn itself it grounding all the time. I had no rubber spring in mine, and fixed it by putting a piece of foam backer in there instead. Works perfectly now.

I'd be willing to bet that tail light that's not working is a ground issue ot the bulb itself is burnt out. Two really easy problems to troubleshoot.

I guess the other question I would ask is, how were those things working before you replaced the harness? Are all your switches, relays, and bulbs working?
1968 CJ-5
2007 Audi S4
2003 Audi Allroad Stg 2
1967.5 1600
69roadster
Roadster Fanatic

Post by 69roadster »

Just check for power on the fuse box and found 12 v across the bottom rwo fuses, the to two didn't have any reading. Is there supposed 12v on all 4 fuses.. Before I replaced the harnesses the only thing that didn't work was the flashers. I can't test the horn yet as the steering wheel is still off.the dash has not been installed. Want to get everything working before installing the dashboard
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Pretty sure the bottom two are connected to the battery, so 12v all the time (lights,horns etc) I think the upper two are "IGN on" power. (Wipers&heater etc). Just going from memory, so go with the wiring diagram if I'm mistaken.

Since it sounds like you have power to the light circuit at the fuse, check for 12V on one of the wires to the switch. Maybe just a bad light switch? If you look up the color codes, you can jumper test 12v to parking lights or headlights to test everything after the switch.

Best
J
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
Curtis
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Curtis »

We've been emailing and have this figured out now pretty much.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
69roadster
Roadster Fanatic

Post by 69roadster »

Wiring installation now complete. All of my wiring woes were all self inflicted, due to me connecting the plug from the relays I had Curtis installed in the to the wrong plug on the engine bay harnes. Thanks Curtis for taking the time to help me while on vacation. Thanks also to JT for calling me and working through the headlight and horn relay wiring with me. I recommend anyone looking for harness to contact Curtis.
Every Circuit on the car now works