electronic distributor install

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

electronic distributor install

Post by Lorna c »

ok so I finally got one ! now what ? lol jk

I've removed my old distrubutor, removed the gear and the offset bottom of the shaft thing from my old distrubutor . now I don't understand how this goes in . or what goes in .. I read I don't need anything else to install this but idk how this is supposed to fit together ?
did I get the wrong one ? help please.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: electronic distributor install

Post by Lorna c »

I've read a bunch of install instructions but I dont understand still . no pictures anywhere . or pls direct me to some photos or thread . . please .

Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

I didn’t watch them but figured it should get you started in the righ direction

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Pjackb wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:17 pm I didn’t watch them but figured it should get you started in the righ direction

perfect thanks . I found some special instructions for this scenario also . it should be a breeze now. I couldn't find this b4. all depends on what ya google eh? Thank you !

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

these are the instructions I found for my issue .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

well heck . I've gotten the wrong distributor . .
rebuilt my regular distributor and I'll put it back in today . back to saving from this mistake . ugh .. I'll ask which one to get when I'm caught up from this . restocking fees . idk I was reading about them , tapped à site as I read , and there is where I ordered one . thought it was too easy . bummer but distributor is rebuilt .

justinmc89
Roadster Nut
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by justinmc89 »

I'm guessing you just bought a distributor from a online source rather than via one of the vendors who builds/sets them up for the Roadsters? (East Coast/etc)? I sort of looked at this path myself but ultimately it's more to making it work in the roadster than just dropping in a matchbox setup off a 210, etc at least from what I can tell so I bought one from Datsun Roadster Restoration Products.
70 1600 to 2000
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

There are several parts that need to be swapped over from an original dizzy, or at least need to be fully compatible, for example the slot for the tach drive gear...
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

idk where I got it from actually . I googled " el distributor " when a friend was over and we started talking about more power in the roadster . I out in 68 datsun roadster 1600 el distributor or something and it popped up . I made the mistake AGAIN thinking L1600 meant left side steering wheel 1600 motor. . I've done this before, and I actually forget on what , a while back . I kicked myself when I found out . I didnt mean to outside venders or whatever . I just wanted one . thought I found one and bought it .. I thought it was more than $100 but it's been a while since I looked at them so didnt think much about it .. bummer tho . I was going to come on here and ask but I thought I was a big girl by.now and did it myself . mistake #1 . haha bummer tho now I've list money on shipping and "restock fee " or something . that's why I was hoping I could just flip over the guts of it or something . but dont sound like it's that easy so ........ idk ....

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

I think I'll go back into my corner and be quiet again . ugh ..

C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

Lorna c wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:15 am I think I'll go back into my corner and be quiet again . ugh ..
Lorna, My '67 which is finally on the road still has the points. I have had Pertronix EIs in one of my competition farm tractors and my '69 Yale forklift for maybe 20 years though. They are just a quick swap out deal. All you do is swap out the plate that the points mount on. I just checked the Pertronics site and they list a set for the '68 311, and I think that it is $86.00. Pertronics is very good for service too. I burned the sender in my tractor out a year ago because I got toned out for a fire call when I was adjusting it and left it on for an hour. They emailed me a test procedure so that I could verify that it was bad. All the tractor guys use Pertronics. I thought that you were the distributor Guru of 311s.org replacing those little balls in the vacuum advance!!
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

C.Costine wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:43 pm
Lorna c wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:15 am I think I'll go back into my corner and be quiet again . ugh ..
Lorna, My '67 which is finally on the road still has the points. I have had Pertronix EIs in one of my competition farm tractors and my '69 Yale forklift for maybe 20 years though. They are just a quick swap out deal. All you do is swap out the plate that the points mount on. I just checked the Pertronics site and they list a set for the '68 311, and I think that it is $86.00. Pertronics is very good for service too. I burned the sender in my tractor out a year ago because I got toned out for a fire call when I was adjusting it and left it on for an hour. They emailed me a test procedure so that I could verify that it was bad. All the tractor guys use Pertronics. I thought that you were the distributor Guru of 311s.org replacing those little balls in the vacuum advance!!
unfortunately , my middle name is jerry. last name rig . haha I happened to fall on those and after two orders , got the right size . idk I thought everyone had them in . haha . they work . I'll have to look those up . I was wondering about the top plate being the only thing it looked. yeah I saw the price on it and said , why did I wait so long on that ? then I saw the correct ones and said ooh . that's why . I'm sure it's worth it being what you get but everything i have I've rebuilt so they work well mostly . haha but using this same distributor is good with me especially now all fresh grease and clean.. no real slop in it either . . so getting this advance plate swap would work for me I thing . and will let me get them sooner too . idk I hear all good things about them . dont they add zip? I've read a cleaner burn too so not to muck up the pistons and such . that blows through the rings . idk . seemed like a good idea. . I just found a third gear oil spit under the car too . need to get that too asap . . . I drive the crap out of this car daily so I'm trying to get through everything so to maintain good . need to grease everything under car again for 3k miles habbit .