Finishing the cooling system re-install

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Geistfahrar
Roadster Nut

Finishing the cooling system re-install

Post by Geistfahrar »

after being side-tracked most of the summer with swimming pool & plugged kitchen-drain problems, I finally got back to work on the roadster last weekend, with just the radiator re-install and coolant replacement to do before I can fire the old girl up with the new pump, alt and EI dizzy, & start tuning.

Most of the forum posts I had read & reviewed, recommended installing the shroud & struts on the radiator, before dropping in back in ( without first removing the new 4-blede fan ). I put a new lower hose ( Dean's ) & stainless clamp on the nipple, to allow the hose to be adjusted to optimally attach to the water-pump nipple, and avoid the steering u-joint. The problem I now have, is the lack of access to the clamp from the top of the engine bay. I can get at it from the bottom, but at my age, t will require jacking-up the front end. Also, the steering linkage is still covered with glop; the removal of which I would prefer to defer.

I had to remove the coolant-overflow & windshield-washer tanks, to properly line-up the struts/radiator combo, to prevent warping the assembly, so the four shroud-mounting screws are accessible with little knuckle-banging, With the shroud detached, I believe here I can expose the clamp enough to secure it on the bottom of the hose.

If I am creating an unforeseen problem by pulling the shroud back, then re-attaching it after the clamp is secured, or I am missing a simpler way of getting at the clamp, I would appreciate a heads-up

Thanks for all replies---

Garry
Location Southern Cal
69' 2000 Roadster, being repaired by O/O
2001 Mercedes ML430; Was Wife's ride, now Grocery-hauler
2005 Jeep Wrangler X; Was Motor-home Toad, now local shopper
2005 33' Dolphin motor-home; Was vacation home, now guest house
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Finishing the cooling system re-install

Post by dbrick »

I found a 5/16, usually, depending on the clamp, socket and a LONG extension to be invaluable. You can use a long screwdriver, but they keep slipping out. Harbor Freight is the best source for the extension. Be careful not to overtighten if you use a ratchet handle.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz »

Assuming that you are using a modern screw type clamp you might get a different shot at it by flipping it over which puts the screw in a slightly different orientation. As a side note if you are striving for authenticity the OEM type clamps we're available from JT a few years ago. Don't know if he still sells them, but probably has a source.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

I agree with Linda. Put a few extensions together and go at it from up top. If your clamps have phillips type screws a looong screwdriver will work. I got a set of loooong screwdrivers a few years ago. I don't often use one but when needed they are invaluable.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn