Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

brn2rde
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Windshield and stainless trim install

Post by brn2rde »

Seeking knowledge on how this process goes. I am ready to install the windshield. I am pretty confident roping it in is not going to be too much hassle, but I am still not sure of the best way to get the stainless trim installed in the winshield gasket. Anyone who has done this want to chime in? My current thinking is to install the upper and lower stainless in the gasket, then install the gasket onto the glass, then install the side stainless pieces, then install the glass into the car.
Sound about right? I have fooled with it a few different ways up til now, with exactly 0% success, but will attempt the above method this afternoon unless someone tells me different????
1969 1600(daughters build/car)
1967.5 1600(future project)
Just for fun-1949 Chevrolet 2d sedan, 1913 Aussie Model T fire truck, 1948 Jeepster, 1949 Bedford Ute. I might have a car problem...
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Re: Windshield and stainless trim install

Post by mraitch »

Have you checked the techwiki??

As I recall, I out the gasket on the windshield and then installed ALL the stainless - the issue is that all the LONG pieces have to go UNDER the corners.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

I strongly recommend finding a professional to do this job who is familiar with Roadster/Z-car-type windshields. It’s not an easy job, and mistakes are expensive.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by theunz »

The directions I got with the new gasket said to install all the trim on the gasket first, should take about an hour. RIGHT! Me and a friend got absolutely NOWHERE with it. So this was one of a very things I had a professional do. The restoration shop still had two guys working on it for about four hours. Others here have done it themselves and said it wasn't bad. I don't know, but may depend on what shape you rubber and or trim is in. My rubber was new and trim was excellent. Good luck, you'll need it.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
dynaguy
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dynaguy »

PIA! 'NUFF said
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by pebbles »

Go for it.
Have you laid the glass in the hole yet? It should contact the pinch weld flanges completely. If there is a gap anywhere, there is a risk of breakage.
You may also try laying the glass with rubber on the car (in the ws frame) and install the trim, to maintain contour.
I left the upper corner trims out for flex, as the new gaskets are thick, and the passenger side was gapped. spent two days getting them in.
Tape is your friend.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

hahah I've been chicken to do mine . . and distracted with other pressing matters but they're all done now so if u do it come help me :-)
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
brn2rde
Roadster Fanatic

Post by brn2rde »

Turns out, I know a guy who knows a guy that says he can do this, no problem. So I will watch and help and report back how it is done in a week or so.
1969 1600(daughters build/car)
1967.5 1600(future project)
Just for fun-1949 Chevrolet 2d sedan, 1913 Aussie Model T fire truck, 1948 Jeepster, 1949 Bedford Ute. I might have a car problem...
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

lucky

bobd
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by bobd »

I made a tool out of some kind of darning needle. Think curved leaf shape head - put it on a wooden handle. This let me manipulate the rubber gasket to get the trim into the grooves. Definitely do before the glass install. It was hard to find someone to do the install. I watched it being installed and it takes two people, one to pull the string and one on the outside to push on the glass. They made it look easy.
'69 1600 with SR20DE
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

they always do . . I saw some videos .haha sometimes I said I can do that ... then later said no way . so far the no ways won . so far . battle not over .