Cylinder 2 incomplete combustion

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Fairlady5150

Cylinder 2 incomplete combustion

Post by Fairlady5150 »

So my recently acquired 1968 1600 appeared to be running very rich. I'm new to SU's so I did some homework before taking a look at them. Everything appears to check out okay, so I started looking elsewhere. Figured I'd swap the plugs while I'm at it. Before I removed it, I noticed #2 was at a slightly off angle, and wasn't seated as low as the others. New plug yielded the same results. So I'm guessing that I'm likely 'running rich' because cylinder #2 has little or no combustion. Any thoughts on this? Any recommendations? Definitely don't want to try to force the plug.
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Re: Cylinder 2 incomplete combustion

Post by keith0alan »

If the plug is at an angle and not seating then the plug is quite likely cross threaded. You have a bigger problem that running rich.
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz »

You might be able to correct the threads with a thread chaser. Use plenty of grease on the chaser to hopefully catch the shavings. Other, and the proper way is to pull the head and then address the threads.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

I agree with starting with quick and easy with the thread chaser. It would be virtually impossible to get the plug in even halfway in at such an angle so you should still have plenty of good straight thread left. You will be told that you have to remove the head and take it to a machine shop for work like this, it depends on your level of confidence with your automotive repair skills.The key to getting the threads straight will be a long extension for the tap. It will enable you to hold it at the correct angle. You can google tap extension and find sources. To check mixture go to the carburetor section of the Tech wiki and look at Keith Olan's write-up. Checking and adjusting mixture is quick and easy. Another quick, easy, inexpensive analysis is to check compression.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I have done a helicoil on the car with the head in place. Not for the faint of heart. 1) Start with piston near top of stroke, but leave room for tap/chaser to seat fully. 2) get some foam, firm but flexible. Saturate it with oil. Stuff it into the plug hole, so that shaving and fillings are caught in the foam. 3) Run tap/chaser, using a shop vac to get as much as possible out of the hole. 4) Seat helicoil. 5 Using forceps/tweezers, and shop vac, remove the foam (you did use a fairly flexible but sturdy piece, right?) Vacuum out the hole meticulously. Install plug and see your results.
My father showed me this trick with a 1969 Fiat way back in 1970's, on an aluminum head. I never had any problems and had it up and running quickly with no drama. Everything and everyone will likely and rightfully tell you not to do it this way, but I did, and I would probably do it again faced with removing OHC components.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Post by keith0alan »

The best way to heli-coil a spark plug hole is with the head off the car. It is also a good chance to do a valve job and check the head for flatness. Pulling the head is not the cheapest or fastest answer but it is by far the best answer. Removing the head really isn't a horrible chore. At one time removing the head and cleaning carbon out of the combustion chambers was considered routine maintenance. Not so much any more with modern oils and gas but not rocket science.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Too be sure, make no mistake that I am in complete agreement that the RIGHT way is to remove the head to fix this. I am just suggesting an alternative based on the stated problem. If the spark plug threads are the only known problem, then this could be an alternative. I can tell you that for teenager who paid a whopping $50 for the entire Fiat, the $5 solution was a welcome one! As a responsible adult who knows better now, that solution is not necessary for me to choose today.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Post by keith0alan »

I certainly have done my share of no money on the cheap fixes. Ask me about my three cylinder Renault Dauphine trip some time. If he can scrape a few bucks together and someone with some experience can lend a hand he will be much better off. The proper repair will need to be done at some point. The sooner the better. If it is bodged now and the plug blows completely out a month from now when he is miles from home he will be really stuck.