Rear shoe and bearing

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gars68
Site Supporter

Rear shoe and bearing

Post by Gars68 »

I've been hearing a strange, although faint, grinding sound from the rt rear so I thought I'd tear into it. Was surprised to find the shoe lining coated with fluid. Doesn't smell like gear oil. I was also expecting the bearing to be shot however their is no play, grinding, or anything. What would you guys do here? Trying to add pics?
Gars68
Site Supporter

Re: Rear shoe and bearing

Post by Gars68 »

The bearing does have a little wiggle to it although it is quiet and smooth. The inside of the wheel cylinder looks rusted.
datsunrides
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by datsunrides »

The fluid can only be gear oil from the axle seal or brake fluid from the wheel cylinder. Could the noise be something like the drum rubbing on the backing plate? Look for a shiny spot.
1966 Roadster
Turbo / EFI U20 (T25 w/ SDS EMU.)
Gars68
Site Supporter

Post by Gars68 »

I brought the axle over to a local machinist and he said the bearing looked good. I cleaned up everything including the inside of the wheel cylinder, repacked the bearing, threw on a $25 set of 510 shoes, and gravity bled. I will check my differential fluid level as I recently changed this, take her for a spin and monitor. BTW, when I pulled out the axle, their was plenty of grease in the cavity where the collar sits. I just wiped it clean before the pic was taken.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jimmers74
Roadster Nut
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Jimmers74 »

Years ago, I had a funny... Grinding on the left rear of SPL311-15187, so when I checked the manual, it said it would take a swing hammer to pull the axle. I was in a friend's garage when I broke it down, and had it on stands. I put my head up in the wheel well and thought I would pull on the axle to see if there was any play. The axle had play all right... It came out easily and caught me on my chin, which knocked me back and the wheel well caught the back of my head. A little bit of blood, but the axle was out! Bearing replaced and all was well. Motto: Give blood. Work on a Datsun.
Gars68
Site Supporter

Post by Gars68 »

Jimmers74 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:29 pm Years ago, I had a funny... Grinding on the left rear of SPL311-15187, so when I checked the manual, it said it would take a swing hammer to pull the axle. I was in a friend's garage when I broke it down, and had it on stands. I put my head up in the wheel well and thought I would pull on the axle to see if there was any play. The axle had play all right... It came out easily and caught me on my chin, which knocked me back and the wheel well caught the back of my head. A little bit of blood, but the axle was out! Bearing replaced and all was well. Motto: Give blood. Work on a Datsun.
These little cars can put up one hell of a fight as you found out the hard way!