Steering wheel

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

excalibur
Roadster Fanatic

Steering wheel

Post by excalibur »

I find that I have a bit of trouble squeezing in the drivers seat with the stock steering wheel. (I'm 6'-1"), and when I get in, my right leg hits the steering wheel. I would like to get a smaller wheel that would still look good in the car (even a couple inches smaller diameter would be good).
:oops:

Anyone do this as well? Any suggestions on a model of car to pull a steering wheel out of? (my local parts yard is pretty good!)
Joe

'68 1600
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Aftermarket steering wheels are good.. grant, momo, etc. will work. You just need to find the hub for the datsun. It depends on the style you are looking for or like best and if it will work with the hub.
Half Fast Racing
Roadster Nut

Post by Half Fast Racing »

Switching to a smaller steering wheel (try 320mm or 12.5" size) really helps to give the driver more leg room in the cockpit, much easier to get in and out of the car. I have a Grant wheel on one car, old "formuling" ??? wheel on the other car.
Another trick that helps is to mount the drivers seat as far back as possible to gain more leg room.
John Atchison
http://www.onewest.net/~jda/halffastracing.html
69 2000, 67.5 SPL/SR20DET
various roadster parts cars
MR2s and shifter karts !
excalibur
Roadster Fanatic

Post by excalibur »

I'm looking at a couple grant wheels I think would look good in the 12 1/2" size. Does the Datsun require a special adapter or do the standard steering wheels fit without a special kit?
Joe

'68 1600
FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Grant fits... kit #4581 (check before buying)

Post by FergO2k »

I have a 13" Grant wheel, and it adds knee room dramatically from the stock wheel. My wheel has nearly no dish, and the Grant kit fit perfect. I am 6'3", with a long back, so it should work well for you.
Fergus O, 69 2000, HB,CA
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

I love the little wheel in mine, about 12 inch flat Momo. I put in a larger wheel I had lying around, about 14-15 inch, steering was much easier and not too much "slower". I'm 6'2", the extra room helps.

My only thought is if my Wive drives the car (5'4" tall), she's going to HATE the little wheel, harder to turn etc. This could adversly affect my already dwindling toy budget. If there is someone else who will be driving your car who might really hate the small wheel, I would think before spending major money.

Fergus, If you have the part number for the adapter, could you post it. Someone was looking for it a few weeks ago.

By the way, great deals on steering wheels on Ebay latley.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
FergO2k

Grant install kit

Post by FergO2k »

Kit #4581, but I'd double-check that with the counter person.
Yep, smaller wheel (13") is a bit tougher, although when I went to 185/65/14's it is now easier, or the same. Always take into account the 'spousal retention factor' !!! Fergus O, 69 2L, HB,CA