Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

justinmc89
Roadster Nut
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

510 rear cylinder "trick" and questions about master cylinder brace

Post by justinmc89 »

So the 70 I picked up had a leak in the rear circuit (LR wheel cylinder gave up the ghost) and I'd been driving around on just the front brakes while I sorted out the fuel issues, etc. So this weekend I tore it down and swapped to the 510 cylinders (13/16" Raybestos PN WC37274). Obviously the inlet on the 510 WC is 10mmx1.0 thread vs. the stock 3/8-24. While I've seen quite a few people install adapters at the wheel cylinder or at the junction block I didn't like that solution as it just creates another point for a potential leak or failure. Since both the stock and 10mm lines use 3/16" tube I ended up buying a section of 3/16" copper nickel tube with the 10mm fittings already installed (you can also buy it in bulk rolls but this was readily available at the parts store). I cut the end off one side and slid a 3/8"-24 inverted flare over the tube, flared it and called it a day. Nice and simple and looks clean and no problems with clearances between the spring mounts or diff on the junction block.

I picked up a master cylinder brace awhile back from someone and it looks pretty straight forward. Assuming I just unbolt the lower master cylinder mounting bolt/stud and slid the brace in and then the lower two mounts/bolts go through the steering shaft support mount?

brakes1.jpg
brakes2.jpg
brakes3.jpg
brakes4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
70 1600 to 2000
GeoffM
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: 510 rear cylinder "trick" and questions about master cylinder brace

Post by GeoffM »

The only issue I ran into when installing the support bracket was that the lower bolt is susceptible to corrosion if the MC has leaked at any point. It uses a captured nut, which I tore out when trying to loosen the bolt. The fix was to convert it to a lock washer and standard nut.
Geoff
1969 SPL-311