Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

ericstammer
Roadster Nut
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Engine Component painted Parts 1600

Post by ericstammer »

Looking for some photos of either original engine or someone who has restored. Not looking to make it Bolt for bolt identical .
But am repainting block with the orig color and want to know what other parts were either painted same (crank pulley etc.) and what were either silver black or bare aluminum.
anybody have pics ?
(his is a 70 1600 BTW ) actually Cal emission version.
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Engine Component painted Parts 1600

Post by mraitch »

I believe fuel pump and both crank and water pump pulley were engine color. though the CAP of the fuel pump was bare. Thermostat tower and front cover were bare. Tehy look LOVEL when polished.

Engine compartment was body color as was cowl grill. Immediate behind grill was either satin, or flat black, similarly with horns and radiator mounts. Overflow tank, black, water pump natural, valve cover natural. Air dam under radiator satin black, and radiator similarly.

Not sure everything I said is right

can't wait to see final results.

remember, aluminum foil is your friend when painting engine compartment. And you can duplicate some of the 'gold' anodised bits, like hood release with duplicolor 'gold'. And s ome of the throttle mechanism as well.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

mraitch wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:08 pm I believe fuel pump and both crank and water pump pulley were engine color. though the CAP of the fuel pump was bare. Thermostat tower and front cover were bare. Tehy look LOVEL when polished.

Engine compartment was body color as was cowl grill. Immediate behind grill was either satin, or flat black, similarly with horns and radiator mounts. Overflow tank, black, water pump natural, valve cover natural. Air dam under radiator satin black, and radiator similarly.

Not sure everything I said is right

can't wait to see final results.

remember, aluminum foil is your friend when painting engine compartment. And you can duplicate some of the 'gold' anodised bits, like hood release with duplicolor 'gold'. And s ome of the throttle mechanism as well.
overflow tank flat black ? bummer the solid copper looks like gold almost . nice with the other copper or ( brass ?) carb fittings n such . . but my motors a dirty mess rt now so nothing looks good. is their an oil or something to keep rust off the copper if I want to go copper ? -- sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread ..
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

ericstammer wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:02 am Looking for some photos of either original engine or someone who has restored. Not looking to make it Bolt for bolt identical .
But am repainting block with the orig color and want to know what other parts were either painted same (crank pulley etc.) and what were either silver black or bare aluminum.
anybody have pics ?
(his is a 70 1600 BTW ) actually Cal emission version.
I'll keep looking for the guide that I have somewhere, but anyway the oil pan and crank pulley should be black. Timing cover, fuel pump, distributor should be bare, though I primed my timing cover and painted it with the same silver paint that I got for my master cylinders. The alternator bracket and the two lift brackets should be blue.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

I spent wuite a bit of time polishing timing cover - came up looking beautiful. Had to keep clean though.

There are 'CLEAR' sprays that might keep copper and brass 'pristine'.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California