Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: PCV / Oil Catch Can Trouble

Post by Linda »

Check with Skip Miller in Pasadena, Miller Sports and Imports if you want to get answers right away. He has worked on Roadsters since new. A wealth of info.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000

Post by jrusso07 »

As I think about what else could it be, I am wondering if the oil return path (galleys) are partially clogged keeping too much oil on the cam and followers - and it takes the path of least resistance to the catch can...

After running engine to oil pressure, shut it down and remove cam cover and see how much oil is sitting on the head. Should be just a trace on all surfaces. Not puddles or oil that fills the recesses in the oil channels in the head.

There is a diagram of oil flow in the shop manuals available on this site (I think)
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
ApexArbitrage
Roadster Nut

Post by ApexArbitrage »

Thanks everyone for your help and support so far!

I spoke with Micahel of Roadsterwerx who said that my problem may be one of three things:
  • - A broken valve stem
    - A head gasket leak
    - Some sort of crack in the head
...but it's probably not the piston rings.

I'll do compression leakdown tests to figure it out hopefully this week as everyone else suggested. Michael said that 135+ psi (where it was when the PO had it) is fine provided that it's uniform across the cylinders. However, 150psi is the target for a rebuilt 2000.

Will report back after the tests...
Max | Orange County, CA
insta - @apexarbitrage
1969 SRL311 "Fairlady Sif"
2014 Porsche Cayman S "Fandral"
2011 Porsche Cayenne S "Volstag"
ApexArbitrage
Roadster Nut

Post by ApexArbitrage »

Here's an update and unfortunately not a good one for me...

Compression test results: 137|92|92|135
Leakdown results: 70|78|78|70

No visible leaks from the cylinder head or valves.
Valve stem seals also look fine:
ValveStems.jpg

Valve clearance looks good:
ValveClerance.jpg

The air pressure is coming from the bottom, from under the cylinder head where the timing chain is, not from the intake or exhaust valves.
PressureCheck2.jpg

We also applied new FIPG to the baffle, but that didn't do much as you'd expect.
newBaffleFIPG.jpg

Seems like there is at least a piston ring problem, even though they were replaced in 2017 by PO. Maybe because he didn't hone the cylinders (or do anything else at all) as @nismou20 said. In the thick receipt book I got I don't have anything from a machine shop.

Anyways it looks an engine refresh/re-rebuild is in order. This isn't something I'm going to attempt on my own (to prevent exactly the outcome I'm at now). So what would you all say is a fair price for labor? My mechanic quoted me $2-3,000 to do it right, including using his machine shop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Max | Orange County, CA
insta - @apexarbitrage
nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Post by nismou20 »

I recently purchased $1100 in parts for the bottom end, pistons, bearings, seals, gaskets. Labor on rebore block,honing, hot tank, polishing crank, Jackshaft was $370. My head was refreshed a couple years ago for $220 and all valves were ok. That’s $1700 in parts alone. So, $2500-$3000 total including Machinist’s labor to me sounds reasonable. I skinpped on a few things so my total in parts would have been closer to $2000 alone. Good luck with yours as pics of the engine bay look to be a nice car.
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
1995 Toyota Tercel (Poormans Corolla)
2001 Fleetwood Jamboree RV
datsunrides
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by datsunrides »

Cylinder honing would have nothing to do with breaking rings. If the rings broke it was probably due to not checking end gap and or if the original pistons were reused, the carbon was not cleaned out of the ring lands.
1966 Roadster
Turbo / EFI U20 (T25 w/ SDS EMU.)
ApexArbitrage
Roadster Nut

Post by ApexArbitrage »

nismou20 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:19 pm Good luck with yours as pics of the engine bay look to be a nice car.
Thanks! Here's my "hello world post" with pics of the car. Bought it hoping it'd be turnkey as described but that's not what I got!
Max | Orange County, CA
insta - @apexarbitrage
ApexArbitrage
Roadster Nut

Post by ApexArbitrage »

datsunrides wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:37 pm Cylinder honing would have nothing to do with breaking rings.
...and that's why I'm not going to do this rebuild myself. At least I've been learning a lot along the way, although the tuition has been pricey!

[Img="https://media.giphy.com/media/VXCPgZwEP7f1e/giphy.gif"]
Max | Orange County, CA
insta - @apexarbitrage
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

If the bores were not honed then the rings probably didn't seat (seal) well. Since it appears that limited or no machine work was done, all clearances and condition are in question, but you may come out ok for parts that can be reused, so go through your receipts and post what was new... chains, gears, bearings etc. While it will need to be disassembled, it's possible that you will need only a hone and new rings and some gaskets... fingers crossed. Bottom line though, you're mechanic will be able to tell you what's what...
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Datrock
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datrock »

Probably a long shot but could it be possible that the PO could have installed the rings upside down. I know that some brands it matters, others may not. Bill
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

[googlevideo][/googlevideo]
Datrock wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:25 pm Probably a long shot but could it be possible that the PO could have installed the rings upside down. I know that some brands it matters, others may not. Bill

My opinion is that it could very well matter. Some rings can't go in upside down, because of the way the groove is machined, or because of a tiny peg that is in the groove that also makes you put the opening in the correct place. I installed new rings in my '67 recently and each had the top marked. If upside down they would not hold compression as well.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

If the ends aren't staggered, you lose compression as well.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

Max if you have the space and some tools, I would encourage you to dive in. You may not know completely whats going on but in the process you can learn so much about these cars.

Ive wrenched a little here and there on my cars, but this is my first Roadster and Ive repeatedly jumped in and it has been rewarding when its all back together running great. I currently have my cylinderhead off and am going to be putting it back together soon. Im extremely nervous about it, but taking my time, asking the more knowledgeable people here and being patient has paid dividends

Either way you go, theres going to be pluses and minuses so its a matter of the path you want to take to the end goal. Bummer that you're having to deal with this now, so early in your purchase
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

If you are thinking of diving in consider that the machine shop does the heavy lifting. That is once you have the motor lifted out. You take the head to them for at least resurfacing, but they can tell you if it needs a valve job or not. When you take them the block they will evaluate the condition of your bores, the crank and the cam and lifters, and the block itself. If the bores need attention they will address that with just a hone or bore and new pistons if needed. You can have them source the new parts needed, and save you money on them too. The biggest thing is that you know that everything that you are getting is properly matched, so that it will go together properly. If you do the dis-assembly yourself you can take all the pics that you want to insure that you will be able to get it all back together right.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

I agree with above, if you want to do it yourself we're here to support you. There are tools that need to be purchased however, so consider that expense as well.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA