Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

sdb8100
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Steer Idler box reassembly help

Post by sdb8100 »

I got a rebuilt idler box with new vertical shaft and bushings, etc assembled. The idler arm and external seal was not assembled. I am about to assemble and install on the vehicle, but here is my question:

Since the vertical shaft threads in from the top, how much length of shaft should be sticking out the bottom of the box so that when the arm is installed and the seal is on, there is the proper pre-load on the seal during full left-to-right rotation in use?

Thanks
'69 Datsun 2000 Roadster l Pittsburgh, PA
greydog
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600

Re: Steer Idler box reassembly help

Post by greydog »

I don't recall ever seeing any sort of measurement. I threaded the shaft into the idler box, counting the number of revolutions, divided that by 1/2 and that's pretty much how mine was done.
Probably not "right" but seems to be fine.
Consider that, when in use, the shaft does not make a full revolution so the amount of vertical movement in the idler shaft is less than 1 thread pitch. The seal is pretty compressible so I'd think if you're off a few turns, its likely fine.
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
sdb8100
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000

Re: Steer Idler box reassembly help

Post by sdb8100 »

Thanks for the response. I'm going to be assembling tonight and I'll see how the fit-up with the seal goes based on your method. It didn't seem like there was a precision process noted anywhere, so I figured that I'd ask.
'69 Datsun 2000 Roadster l Pittsburgh, PA