Sharp metal ridges under hood and trunk

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

jhayden
Site Supporter

Sharp metal ridges under hood and trunk

Post by jhayden »

The following is posted with the full understanding that some/most may regard it as a “solution” to a nonexistent problem. No offence will be taken.

The sharp metal ridges underneath the hood and trunk of our cars have always appeared unfinished, and are easily chipped following a fresh paint job. This rubber edge trim

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CCG-UNIVERSAL- ... 2749.l2649

is sufficiently flexible that a single piece can accommodate the sharp bends of either hood or trunk so that no gaps remain following installation. Patience is required, though, along with 3M weatherstrip adhesive, their Edge-Lock painter’s tape, a few c-clamps, and a dental pick tool. Can still be a bit frustrating, so probably best not to have small children within hearing distance whilst installing.

The installation under hood causes no interference problems, and may be installed under the deck lid if the Fairlady is "fair weather only" and does not have weatherstrip glued to the lid.

Borrowing a quote from our friend Down Under, “Just trying to help.”

Jon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spags1986
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Sharp metal ridges under hood and trunk

Post by spags1986 »

Jon,
That looks great
1967.5 2000 (In Frame off restoration)
1966 1600
1969 2000
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Re: Sharp metal ridges under hood and trunk

Post by Alvin »

Neat! I've never seen anyone apply it to the trunk, but lots of different types of material in the engine bay. From the stick-on door edge trim to thicker rubber edging:

Even mine had what appears to be left overs from a screen door frame :smt005
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread