Smog Distributor

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Rutty
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Smog Distributor

Post by Rutty »

It sounds like upgrading/updating to an EI is the way to go. What options are out there and what are everyone's experiences with them?
Matt
'68 1600 (L20b)
'69 2000
Minnesota
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

I like the external matchbox design, as I don't care about a "stealth" look, I care about less chance of crossfire with a bigger cap. I have this design by the previous vendor Garry Boone and it has worked well, just 1 broken spring, and who knows what caused that. Good tech documents such as spare parts list, and troubleshooting makes the current vendor Tom most helpful.
No regrets on this upgrade.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

If you have the money now , do it . I will one day . I got different weights and put them in for mine . Works well now I have everything dialed in but I hear you get more hp with electric . Let me know if you go that rout and post the difference u feel . I'd like to know .. :-)
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Rutty
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Rutty »

Thought I'd post an update for anyone interested.
I decided to get the East Coast Roadster EI dizzy and couldn't be happier. The change from the smog distributor to this is night and day. I don't know how much of that is attributable to the EI and how much is because of the change in timing with the vacuum advance being different. It pulls strong off idle like it never did before and it fixed my stumbling idle. In fact the first thing I noticed was how easily it started up and how smooth it idled even before I fine tuned the timing or carbs.
I just got in a set of carb needles to swap out the smog needles with. Then I'm going to get the carbs tuned. Just need to find the time.
Matt
'68 1600 (L20b)
'69 2000
Minnesota
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Glad to hear this has worked out so well. Definitely one of the best upgrades you can do IMHO.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
johnlorio
Roadster Nut

Post by johnlorio »

Do you have contact information for East Coast Roadster? I keep getting blank pages on their website
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz »

Tom "notoptoy" here is East Coast Roadster. Send him a pm, but I bet he sees this first and gives you a reply.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

John, I responded to your message. I'll check out the website, thanks for the heads up on that.
Tom
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG