Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Frozenrearbrake drum

Post by RustyBucket »

Other than using a torch to heat the drum and hammer to smack it, does anybody have an honest method on how to get a rear drum off?

Oh and the e brake adjuster is locked up too 🤬

May be a French mechanic do the last brake job 50+ years ago.
Thanks
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Re: Frozenrearbrake drum

Post by theunz »

Have you loosened the brake shoe adjusting nut on the backside yet? I usually have to back the adjuster all the way off and then tap the drum with a rubber mallet while pulling on the drum.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
bossbob
Site Supporter

Post by bossbob »

I had the same issue with mine, I used PB blaster on the adjuster for a few days until I could break it loose, don't think I was able to get it completely adjusted loose, but then the BFH and some brute strength I was able to get it off.
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
69 Mach 1 393 Stroker 5 spd
63.5 Galaxy Conv. 427 Dual Carb, 4 spd
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe
RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RustyBucket »

theunz wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:19 pm Have you loosened the brake shoe adjusting nut on the backside yet? I usually have to back the adjuster all the way off and then tap the drum with a rubber mallet while pulling on the drum.
Mike,
The adjuster is frozen too !! The car was a "Prize" purchased off Ebay years ago and is a donor for it's twin.
I detached the e-brake linkage and just about floated the rear of the car in "PB Blaster" and WD40... While a torch was judiciously applied, my trust 30 pound fire extinguisher was with easy reach.

The face of my dead drop hammer now looks like a nasty pineapple from smackin' and swackin' the drum - NO Bueno.

- Happy Turkey Day to You !-

Cam
RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RustyBucket »

bossbob wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:35 pm I had the same issue with mine, I used PB blaster on the adjuster for a few days until I could break it loose, don't think I was able to get it completely adjusted loose, but then the BFH and some brute strength I was able to get it off.
Bob,

If not for the plastic drop cloth diaper under the rump of the car. the garage floor would like oil slick from the EXXON Valdez :shock:
While the family is chowing-down , the rear of the car will get a second wave of PB blaster " and maybe by Monday something will have sunken in ..."
(THat's what my wife says to me al the tiem)

As for you "Stang" my older brother had a '70 Black over tan , Fastback 428 Super Cobra with a super HD c6 auto -all factory - what a rocket :twisted:
Maybe I show post the progress on the TECH forum for the next "loser" :lol: dealing with a frozen drum.

Happy Turkey !!
Cam
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

Heating the adjuster bolt may be a quicker solve
After you clean up all the oil
was the E brake pulled on, that pivot pt froze is usually the culprit
Then you can address another problem, the drum seized to the axle
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Post by keith0alan »

Did you try putting the car on it's wheels and rocking it back and forth? Take the two bolts holding the adjuster to the backing plate out? Same with the slave cylinder? With those loose the entire assembly might come out. Are the shoes stuck to the drum or the drum stuck to the axle? If you remove the four nuts from the bolts holding the backing plate to the axle you should be able to remove the axle and entire brake assembly. At that point you can put the thing on the bench and get to it conveniently.
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Unbolt the adjuster from the backing plate. No need to sweat getting it free while still mounted. If you are really having issues, disconnect the wheel cylinder and pull the brakes with the drum. Once it comes out a bit, things usually give it up and you can get it all off.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RustyBucket »

redroadster wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:00 am Heating the adjuster bolt may be a quicker solve
After you clean up all the oil
was the E brake pulled on, that pivot pt froze is usually the culprit
Then you can address another problem, the drum seized to the axle
I've disconnected the e brake linkage completely and doused the enrage actuator arm with PB blaster.. Till it was dripping.
Drowning my troubles with PB Blaster. Not Jack Daniles 8)
The embarked actuator arm only moves about 1/4". So it was drawn up tight 50+ years ago, that's for sure.
RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RustyBucket »

theunz wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:19 pm Have you loosened the brake shoe adjusting nut on the backside yet? I usually have to back the adjuster all the way off and then tap the drum with a rubber mallet while pulling on the drum.
Now that all the family has cleared the turkey off the table, my plan is to see if I can un bolt the e brake actuator from the baking plate tomorrow after the garage warms up.

Smacking cold knuckles, even with mechinic gloves ob$&@'jjj-hurts
If that works out, I will post the results. Fingers crossed
RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RustyBucket »

Now that all the family has cleared the turkey off the table, my plan is to see if I can un bolt the e brake actuator from the baking plate tomorrow after the garage warms up.

Smacking cold knuckles, even with mechinic gloves ob$&@'jjj-hurts
If that works out, I will post the results. Fingers crossed
spl310 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:54 pm Unbolt the adjuster from the backing plate. No need to sweat getting it free while still mounted. If you are really having issues, disconnect the wheel cylinder and pull the brakes with the drum. Once it comes out a bit, things usually give it up and you can get it all off.
?? "Embarked. What the heck. It should read as"e brake"
RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RustyBucket »

Removing the "brake Adjuster" mounting nuts and gentility tapping the adjuster 1/4" "square headed adjustment bolt - caused it to drop inside of the brake drum and backing plate - this allowed me to finally remove the DRUM.

The problem was that trailing brake shoe had fused to the inside of the Drum. Once the adjust was released ( unbolted) the leading brake shoe dropped off it's mounting point, that released the "expanded-hold" the shoes had on the drum.. Ta-Da !

-- Go FIGURE :shock:
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Thanks for following up with the solution, too many time threads just end without the resolution. This way other owners can be helped!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RustyBucket »

Hey ! The suggestions form the "Pros" turned out to be the answer to the problem. That an a bucket of "PB Blaster"
Now I have to get my rebuilt "ZTherapy" carbs back on the engine. I hope to get the car running before I put it up for the winter.. Tooo COLD to work on in a UN HEATED Garage ... BURRRR
Thanks to the PROS !!!

- Cam