Things to do when the engine is removed

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gornal
Roadster Nut

Things to do when the engine is removed

Post by Gornal »

Hi all,

I have removed my engine while the car is being painted (very excited ATM). Can anyone advise on anything they think is worth doing to the engine while it is out of the car an on an engine stand?

thanks

Dave
sports imports
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: Things to do when the engine is removed

Post by sports imports »

Clean it, paint it , re gasket distributor, fuel pump, oil filter base. Check one frost plug to see if they are corroding internally (exhaust side near #4. remove drain block plug. a lot of the time this passageway is full of sediment. Check distributor tach seal as they leak all the time. drain oil and remove pan to see if there is sludge or heaven forbid, the lower guide!

Ross
sports imports
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

AND, if you have the inclination, now is the time to polish all the shiny bits - valve cover, carbs, water pump, thermostat tower, etc. - lots of vino, elbow grease and grits ranging from 300 to 4000.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
greydog
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by greydog »

You don't mention what's been done to the car so-
"While I'm in there"-
Solid state ignition. Minimum Pertronix with Blaster coil. Better is electronic dizzy. If you aren't tapped from the body/paint work, maybe even a programmable dizzy.
Carbs in top shape? Rebuild or pay a vendor for rebuilt.
Do you know the clutch is in good shape? If not, split the trans and engine. have flywheel lightened, add new clutch disc (or buy JT's setup_
Exhaust in top shape? If not, a nice coated header looks nice and will last for years.
New motor mounts.
Is alternator in good shape? Installed on passenger side? Good time to address and I like the little Denso on my '68.
Radiator in good shape?
When I last had the engine out of the '69, I removed the thermostat housing that I've always hated and replaced with a 240Z neck, installed a 2000 radiator, 14" electric fan, put a GM 10si alternator on the passenger side, removed the double groove crank pulley and fan spacer and installed earlier single groove pulleys. Gave me lots of room at the front of the engine.

Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
cole455
Roadsteraholic

Post by cole455 »

Umm, cut the metal brace between you and the starter (when accessing from left front wheel-well!!
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

I'd say #1 is do the clutch with a min.of the heavy duty 200O set up, for those with a 1600. You have to pull the engine to do it so now is the time.
Also check the counter gear in a 4 speed and replace if any wear, also for those with a R16.
If you need to rebuild or swap the 5 speed to a better one, now is the time also.
Checking the drive train ujoints and replacing as needed makes sense, use the ones with zerks.
Lots of threads and pics of the above projects in the archives.
AutoZone has the tools to loan for these jobs
Have fun
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Check and address your brake lines in the engine compartment. If rusty or pinched, change them. Easy to get to with everything out of the way. Same with the wiring harness, Fuse block (If early model), relays, battery tray, fuel lines and other things that you don't normally think to check. No better time than now!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
dynaguy

Post by dynaguy »

When "restoring" my '69 2000, I told my wife that I wasn't going to overdue things. After pulling the engine and tranny, she caught me sitting on the front cross member in the empty engine compartment cleaning the brake lines with steel wool. " Glad you're not getting carried away this time", was her only comment. It can be a slippery slope. Pat
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

cole455 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:45 pm Umm, cut the metal brace between you and the starter (when accessing from left front wheel-well!!

2X cut the metal brace. Actually cut it before washing the car for the first time.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
sports imports
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by sports imports »

Car is at paint shop, request is for info on what to do with the engine while it’s out. Some items listed in engine compartment should be done before paint. Are you having paint shop detail engine compartment?
spyder
Model: 2000

Post by spyder »

Been there, done that. Do everything!

Before

During

After
Gornal
Roadster Nut

Post by Gornal »

Nice, thanks all for the ideas...it is a slippery slope. Can anyone add further on cutting the metal brace between me and the starter. I am a novice. Any pics would help, thanks
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

whence cometh this mysterious triangular cut-out.

I have seen multiple high windshields, none of which bear any marks of a prior existence.

On LOW windshield - yup, I have seen one.

Doesn't make much difference ultimately, but just another bit of pointless information to store.

Any one got the 'truth'?
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California