Car Won't Start, Need Advice

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

MattGabe
Roadster Nut

Car Won't Start, Need Advice

Post by MattGabe »

Hello Roadster Friends!
I'm having some issues with my car, and I am looking for the sage advice of the group.
I recently ran out of gas (very embarrassing).
After getting gas put in I still wasn't able to start the car.
I assumed that the fuel pump may have given up the ghost at the same time, because i'd had some issues with it over the past year.

I had to get the car towed home, then ordered a new fuel pump.
I put the new pump on this morning and nothing happened. Still won't start.
It looks like the pump is working, because the gas that's in the glass fuel filter housing is bubbling...but I don't think it's getting gas from the tank.

I don't have a wealth of mechanical knowledge, so I'm just curious what I should try next.
Any guidance would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Matt
SRL311-00292
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: Car Won't Start, Need Advice

Post by notoptoy »

Blow the fuel line out from the fuel filter to the gas tank. Probably sucked up some garbage blocking the line. After that, look for small cracks in in of the rubber hose, loose clamps, and a bad seal at the fuel filter (if you have the glass bowl). If blowing out the fuel line solves your problem, you will want to consider dropping the tank and cleaning or having it cleaned.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
bossbob
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by bossbob »

That's the first thing I had to do to my roadster when I first got it. Turned out the fuel outlet in the tank was completely clogged. Had to punch through it and do a thorough cleaning of the tank and replaced all the rubber fuel lines and filter.

Works great now.
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
69 Mach 1 393 Stroker 5 spd
63.5 Galaxy Conv. 427 Dual Carb, 4 spd
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe
greydog
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by greydog »

Our 69 was plugged too. I had the tank out to wash and paint it. I put a pop bottle over the feed line and used my shop air to blow from the pump infeed. Blew a bid wad of gunk out. No more issues with fuel feed to the carbs.
Be very careful if you blow into the line, old gas is nasty.
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

Mine for the first 3 months and 3 or 4 fuel filters would get clogged anytime the tank got low and I was constantly blowing out that line.

"New" Coated tank and a new filter and I havent had that problem since.
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

Buy a HF vacuum gun see if you can pull gas easily
You may have calcium build up in the pick up and S bend
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
RustBucket
Roadster Fanatic
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by RustBucket »

All good suggestions. I too had the same problem. A nice yellow flaking off varnish from inside the tank. I was burning through a filter every hundred miles. I used a bike tire pump to blow the lines out from the engine back towards tank. Pulled the tank, put a 1/2 gal of acetone and 3 lbs of small rocks in and shook it all clean. A couple of acetone rinses until clean, then reinstall. Good to go. Not a single filter change now in a thousand miles or more.
You could also try: remove the fuel pump from the engine (2 nuts) and hand accutate the pump and see if it will pump gas. I've run out more than a few times (fuel gauge and odometer didn't work for many years). It would normally fire up with very few cranks after words.
Based on how well your car ran on our loop through the San Gabriel's, I would guess your tank is not bad, just maybe the pump or air in the line or something. Call or text me if you need help tomorrow.
Rustbucket
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
67.5 1600
Orange County, CA
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

put some gas in a container and connect it to the intake side of the fuel pump.

If you can start the car, then you know it is somewhere prior to the fuel line.

What I have also successfully done, if you don't have compressed air is connect output of fuel pump to fuel line from tank (with input still in aforesaid container) and use pump pressure to blow out line.

Clearly something to be addressed.

If fuel tank is to be removed (as aforementioned), upon reinstallation, suggest 'chasing' all connections, they are fine thread and can be a bugger. Also easier to remove passenger rear wheel.

Finally, consider rehanging rear of tank from frame ISO body as is currently. Just drill appropriately located holes and hang the 'J'-hooks from there.

THis avoids stress cracks in floor of trunk.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
MattGabe
Roadster Nut

Post by MattGabe »

Thanks all! These are very good suggestions. I’ll report back when I (hopefully) make some progress!
SRL311-00292
MattGabe
Roadster Nut

Post by MattGabe »

MattGabe wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:12 pm Thanks all! These are very good suggestions. I’ll report back when I (hopefully) make some progress!
UPDATE:
Still not starting.

I checked the seal at the fuel filter...seems ok.
I checked all the fuel lines for leaks...all are good.
I blew air into the fuel line from the end at the filter...didn't seem blocked.
I sucked on the fuel line at the fuel filter...i now know what gas tastes like.

So here's what I'm thinking...When i replaced the fuel pump, i installed the new block spacer that it came with.
My previous pump didn't have this spacer installed...which i read was a bad thing.
But now i'm thinking maybe I just had a blockage in a line (which has now been fixed) but the arm of the new pump isnt engaging with whatever drives it in the engine due to the spacer.

Next plan is to replace the old fuel pump (which seems functional still) and see if it was just some gunk in the fuel line.
If THAT works, next project will be to drop the tank and clean it out.
Thanks for taking this journey with me. :Tosser:
SRL311-00292
greydog

Post by greydog »

Ok....
Before you change fuel pumps (again), Let's try to pin down where the issue is.
We know the feed works because you got a new mouthwash.
There must be some pump activity because you're seeing bubbles in the fuel filter but maybe it's pumping air.
So, at this point, I'd go about verifying how far along in the circuit you have fuel.
I'd disconnect the line at the carbs (before it tees to feed the carbs) and see if there's fuel when you turn the engine over (coil wire pulled so no sparks).
If not, I'd go back to the filter and disconnect the feed to the filter and see if there's fuel there. Same deal, turn the car over and see if you're getting fuel to the filter (not just pumping air).

By the way, when either of my cars have been idle for a couple weeks, it takes quite a bit of cranking to get fuel to the carbs. Ususually it takes a full minute or more before there's even a sputter, then it'll start on 1 or 2 cylinders and very quickly after that, the others kick in. I theorize the fuel evaporates in the bar bodies (i've looked and they're dry) so gotta get fuel to feed up from the pump thru the filter and into the float bowls. Takes a while.....
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
steve_car
Roadster Fanatic

Post by steve_car »

Take one of your carb overflow tubes off and push down on the float to see it there is any fuel in your bowl. If not, pour in a small amount of gas. You should just be able to add it to one bowl. See if it starts.
Steve
65 1500
62 L320
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

The fuel pump arm has to be on top of the cam, not hooked under it on the 1600.
Not easy to do that but it can happen.
Not sure on the 2000. I think you have a jackshaft, but probably the same idea.
Of course if you are pumping fuel per the suggestions you should be OK.
I have also had the carb fuel valves stick closed , so no fuel could enter.
Linda
Last edited by Linda on Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

If the fuelpump just went into place without having to push it in a bit,then you may have an issue as the arm should be on the drive eccentric. Possibility it's the wrong pump too. Compare new to old.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
MattGabe
Roadster Nut

Post by MattGabe »

UPDATE 2
Pump does not appear to be pumping. I'm not getting any bubbles in the filter anymore.
I replaced all the rubber hoses between the tank and the carbs thinking there might be some sort of lack of suction somewhere, but it didn't help.

I've run both the old and new pump with and without the new spacer block and neither seem to make a difference. The new pump is exactly the same as the old pump (oem from DatsunParts).

My guess is that the pump arm is no longer engaging with the part in the engine that drives it (cam shaft?). The diaphragm definitely makes a suction noise when installing...so it is making connection. Maybe the engine part inside is not moving? Which is probably bad.

Any other ideas before I bring it to a professional?
SRL311-00292