Clutch Adjustment?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

jeremywatco
Roadster Newby

Clutch Adjustment?

Post by jeremywatco »

Just finished putting my '67 back together after putting in a new clutch. Tried to do a test run today and found that the clutch is not disengaging when pushing the pedal. I notice that I have about 3/4 of a pedal stroke before I feel resistance. So I am assuming I need to adjust the slave. What is the proper way to adjust this?
Toptech360
Roadsteraholic

Re: Clutch Adjustment?

Post by Toptech360 »

Adjust the pushrod length at the slave. But first, verify the hydraulic system has been bled. It sounds like you've got some air still.
Dan
1964 Datsun SPL310. The Datsun
1997 Toyota Tacoma LX 4wd. The Truck
2009 Subaru Forester XT.
2017 Toyota AWD Swagger Wagon.
jeremywatco
Roadster Newby

Post by jeremywatco »

OK. Re-bled it, no air. While I was there I watched the stroke while my daughter pressed the clutch. Looks like the rod is moving full stroke however only the last little bit of it is actually moving the fork.. so definitely need to adjust the nut.

How do you do that? The threaded rod just spins. How do I hold it? Is there a trick without grabbing it with vice grips and ruining the threads?
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

You should be spin the ball nut along the threaded shaft towards the clutch fork. You shouldn’t have to secure the push rod at all. You have the securing nut off the ball nut, right? I push the fork back as far as I can with one hand, and then spin the nut all the way up against it with the other. Then, I back the ball nut off an 1/16” or so, and then secure it in place with the locking nut behind it.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
jeremywatco
Roadster Newby

Post by jeremywatco »

FIXED.

Thanks for the help. I tried to do this without jacking up the car.. failure on my part. Couldnt see the jam nut... only saw the smaller 1/2" nut and there was no way it was spinning without the jam not off. Jacked up the car and everything was visible (imagine that). Took all the free play out (which was a ton) and now working great!

THanks!