Overheating? Confused

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

jeremywatco
Roadster Newby

Overheating? Confused

Post by jeremywatco »

Just put the engine back into my '67 1600, after doing clutch job.

Now, when idling temp gauge creeps up to the 200 range after a few min. Stop the car.. radiator is cool to the touch. System is pressurized. What else to check? The heater core is bypassed with a piece of tubing that looks as if it could be kinked. Would a kink here prevent circulation?

Just confused as how the water temp is reading high when the radiator is cool.. unless thermostat isnt opening or something else.

Everything worked great before I took engine out.

UPDATE:

So I figured there was air in the system. So I took the cap off whatever that housing is that the upper radiator hose goes into. And let it idle. It was bubbling the entire time pretty good until it finally reached its boiling point and overflowed. This time the radiator was super hot and car had been idling maybe 3-4min.

How much coolant do these hold? I figured this is the correct place to fill from as well and it took an entire gallon and that was it. My manual said it takes 2 gallons. When I took the engine out all the coolant ran out, so the fact that it only took 1 gallon tells me something isnt right.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: Overheating? Confused

Post by notoptoy »

If your thermostat is working, You are probably correct that you have air in the system, you have to bleed or burp the air out of it. I would correct the kink as it could trap air. Park it with it's nose up in the air , park on a hill, or on ramp etc. Fill it cold, squeeze and release the lower hose a bunch. Run it to warm, squeeze and release the lower hose filling as necessary. Run it till you are sure the thermostat is open, squeeze and release, replace the cap. Turn it off let it cool down some. Check the overflow tank. it should be no more than 1/2 full. Repeat as necessary. Many of the early 1600's have a small bleed screw on the thermostat tower, after you replace the cap, bleed it from here to get all the air out, with the cap on and the thermostat open.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
peter
Roadsteraholic

Re: Overheating? Confused

Post by peter »

It good also be the enginetop, when I removed my head I saw that all the waterports are almost closed by rust, A lot of engines In hot states use water as coolant, we use always cooling fluid. I have drilled them open.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall,torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Datsun Roadster '66 #7000 Sora Blue, restored 220 Hp and 340 Nm