Removing the air injection manifold

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Geistfahrar
Roadster Nut

Removing the air injection manifold

Post by Geistfahrar »

How the heck do you get the smog ( air injection ) manifold off the head, without damaging it? It looks like a 17 mm end-wrench will fit the nuts, but it is too wide to fit into the depression in the head. I considered just cutting off the tubes above the nuts, so I can get a socket around them, but I am afraid I will introduce metal particles into the cylinders. Any suggested method or tools appreciated. I hope It doesn't involve pulling the intake manifold.

Thanks G.S.
Location Southern Cal
69' 2000 Roadster, being repaired by O/O
2001 Mercedes ML430; Was Wife's ride, now Grocery-hauler
2005 Jeep Wrangler X; Was Motor-home Toad, now local shopper
2005 33' Dolphin motor-home; Was vacation home, now guest house
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: Removing the air injection manifold

Post by notoptoy »

Welcome Geistfahrar,
I have a 67.5 so no smog equipment, so I have not had to perform the smogectomy before. Can you get a flare nut wrench in there?
Someone will have a suggestion I am sure. Might as well soak it with Kroil/PB Blaster/WE40 etc., while you wait for some guidance.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
spyder
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by spyder »

Try one of these!

C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

Can you grind a wrench down to fit? Most mechanics have an assortment of tools in their box that were modified to fit a certain job.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
ACote
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000

Post by ACote »

https://www.amazon.com/Injector-Sockets ... B06Y1S844Q
would something like this work? The ones we use at my job are just a socket with 1/3 cut off the side and a rod welded on it.
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by redroadster »

Fire wrench ! Time
wait ...are you R&R ing or removing for good
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
68DSU
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by 68DSU »

It was like the first thing I did to my car over 40 years ago. He is what I know. It is off and sitting in a box intact, so I found a way to do it. I also have a wrench that is ground around the edges so I would guess I used CC's method.
Rick
Constantly working on the Datsun whenever I get around to it.

1968 SPL 311
1987 Toyota MR2 T-top (don't hate, wife's car)
2014 Ford Mustang convertible
SPF 50
Geistfahrar
Roadster Nut

Post by Geistfahrar »

Thanks for the suggestions. I like CC's suggestion also. My too-fat 17mm end wrench is so clean, I can't remember what I used it for. I don't think it came with the 2000 tool bag though. When I re-built the trans in '82 I bought several "specialized" tools to remove the guts, so that is my guess. To answer redroadster's question, I am de-smogging it for good ( when I croak, my kids will re-locate it to southern Oregon ).
Location Southern Cal
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

I hope oregon isnt in the United States , as its a federal emission law
Tampering ,same as speedo turn back
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Geistfahrar
Roadster Nut

Post by Geistfahrar »

R'Roadster is right about tampering with the emission equipment, but my recent trolling on the forum makes me believe that most folks pull out the parts than put them in a box "just in case". Some have kept the air pump in place, spinning without the vanes. I don't recall seeing any posts where the owner has left the hoses & manifold in place, up to where a blind plug ( jerry-rig, or Dean's version ) is inserted into the head. Keeping a roadster emission system intact for 45 to 50 years is not going to happen. I have had to replace part of my emission hose set with makeshift urethane hoses and PVC elbows into the intake manifold. When the pump vanes wear out, you will have to remove them, or you can't keep the engine running. My second set of vanes are shot and replacement ones are not available.

G.S
Location Southern Cal
cktrap
Roadsteraholic

Post by cktrap »

If you need some replacement parts to repair your emissions system just post up. I have at least two system that will never go back on one of my engines. Now that I think about it, I’ll put those boxes out with the trash. I need to get my hoarding under control.
Just saying
'70 SRL311
'10 GMC 2500HD
Geistfahrar
Roadster Nut

Post by Geistfahrar »

Thanks for the info, CK. I have pulled off all parts except the air pump & the injectors on cyls. 1 & 3 ( waiting for liquid wrench to seep in ). I have put 2 of Dean's replacement plugs in cyls. 2 & 4. I will put all parts except a stripped air pump in my "accessible crawl-space", along with the original exhaust manifold, & the Remington office model typewriter I used in college ( 1950). When I last fired up the roadster, in 2015, the air pump made a racket like a busted gatling gun. Worn vanes on the original air pump, in 1981, masked a similar clatter from the top timing chain tensioner. The sad result was the tensioner shoe falling out of its socket & into the chain. The entire timing train was wiped out, along with the valves. The pistons magnifluxed ok, but I decided not to take a chance, so I stripped the engine & had it re-bored out 0.020". Miked the head on an optically flat granite block, and had it decked to 0.0005" at the corners. Camshaft & crank miked within tolerances, so I kept them, but replaced all other "moving parts" & bearings. I also rebuilt the trans at the same time ( new bearings & synchros ).Mileage at the time of re-build --107,125. Current mileage, 110,699. The reason for the low mileage on the re-build, was that I got sick of fighting the crazy So Cal freeways, so I shifted to 2 wheels for my daily commute ( 33 mi. round trip ), splitting the traffic lane on the surface streets, until I retired in 1990.
Location Southern Cal
cktrap
Roadsteraholic

Post by cktrap »

I lived Socal in the 70s and 80s drove the white line for about 8 years until I saw an idiot who passed me hauling ass ( I eased over cause I saw him coming up on me quickly). A couple of miles later traffic got really bad. When I got up to the scene he was covered up on the pavement with a sheet. A week later I was pulled over in Oceanside doing 120mph and decided it was time to get back on 4 wheels. Still alive and not retired yet, soon real soon.
Enjoy
Keith
'70 SRL311
'10 GMC 2500HD
Geistfahrar
Roadster Nut

Post by Geistfahrar »

Oops! My bad -- shoulda wore my glasses to read the odometer, Current mileage is 130,699. First digit is under the speedometer needle. Roadster was my ski-trip ride from 1970 to 1981 & 1985 to 2001 ( round trip around 750 miles ). Yep, they say there are only two kinds of bikers -- those who have fallen & those who are going to fall. In 1984 when heading home from work on Beach Blvd. in the fast lane, a crazy bimbo pulled out of her workplace parking lot, cutting across both lanes of traffic in front of the 4Runner in front of me. He slammed on his brakes, & at 45 MPH I had nowhere else to but down. Severe road rash & broken fibula ( helmet saved the skull ). I was hauled by the meat wagon to the ER, leg put in a cast & 1/4# of gravel tweezed out of my leg. My #2 son-in-law rescued the bike from the impound lot. Damage to bike was minimal, but I had a hard time dancing at my daughter's wedding that September. I repaired the bike and rode it daily until 1993. Both sons-in-law are are still Harley bikers ( neither has fallen YET) & SIL #2 made his annual trek this year to the big Harley roundup in Sturgis Minnesota.

Garry S.
Location Southern Cal
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

Geistfahrar wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:49 pm Oops! My bad -- shoulda wore my glasses to read the odometer, Current mileage is 130,699. First digit is under the speedometer needle. Roadster was my ski-trip ride from 1970 to 1981 & 1985 to 2001 ( round trip around 750 miles ). Yep, they say there are only two kinds of bikers -- those who have fallen & those who are going to fall. In 1984 when heading home from work on Beach Blvd. in the fast lane, a crazy bimbo pulled out of her workplace parking lot, cutting across both lanes of traffic in front of the 4Runner in front of me. He slammed on his brakes, & at 45 MPH I had nowhere else to but down. Severe road rash & broken fibula ( helmet saved the skull ). I was hauled by the meat wagon to the ER, leg put in a cast & 1/4# of gravel tweezed out of my leg. My #2 son-in-law rescued the bike from the impound lot. Damage to bike was minimal, but I had a hard time dancing at my daughter's wedding that September. I repaired the bike and rode it daily until 1993. Both sons-in-law are are still Harley bikers ( neither has fallen YET) & SIL #2 made his annual trek this year to the big Harley roundup in Sturgis Minnesota.

Garry S.
There is a surges in Minnesota too?
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn