Fixed it in 5mins

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Fixed it in 5mins

Post by Lorna c »

I was tightening up my battery and the wrench slipped and landed on the break line box thing up on the fire wall . The one with two lines on it with w wire in the middle , well it sparked and sparked until I got a screwdriver and flicked it off . Well it blasted a hole in the metal line . Not knowing really what it was I thought it was a gauge in my gauges were working so I thought the tape was working that I used to close the hole and then a hose clamp on top of that.
Well I took off on the freeway to help a friend out with his broken car and I had no brakes went to the floor and during this time I was trying to break its goosing Dot 3 all over my motor luckily not my paint.. anyway I kind of rig it enough with this hose clamp and tape to get me home downshifting and hoping I don't get a red light I make it home .. anyway I've had to fix a few brake lines in the past so I knew just what to get .. cut out a small section with the hole in it and slipped his baby right on bled the brakes and good to go ! It was almost too easy.. yay for me . I didn't even have to ask y'all a question
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: Fixed it in 5mins

Post by Lorna c »

The picture didn't load .. haha I'll do it again .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Screenshot_20180803-223451.png
This will fix those metal lines .
Screenshot_20180803-223451.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cktrap
Roadsteraholic

Post by cktrap »

Be careful how you repair those brake lines. Not recommended to use anything but threaded fitting on high pressure hydraulic lines. That's a quick fix to get you home but not a good idea. just saying.
'70 SRL311
'10 GMC 2500HD
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Post by keith0alan »

Brake system pressure can be up to 1000 psi. Tape and a clamp is not rated for that (obviously) and neither is that compression fitting. Please replace the line with a new steel one with proper double flairs. Also, if this was in a late 68 as your tag line says you shouldn't have lost your brakes. The late cars have a dual system to prevent that. Please do get it sorted out.
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by david premo »

That is really dangerous. Do not do that! Replace the brake line with a proper steel line or someone could die and you would not want to live with that.
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

Lorna, 2X what Keith said. you need a continuous steel line with the double flair ends. Your auto parts store has a good selection of precut lengths. Maybe only another 5 mins, LOL.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Applaud your inventiveness, but you probably want to listen to the gurus who just posted .
Maybe someone has a good used line for you, or go to Classic Tube for a look at the Roadster brake line kit.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Same as above. Remove the offending line, measure the length, and get an easily bent replacement at the local parts house. Take the old one with you and make sure that the fittings on each end are correct. It is REALLY easy to get very, very close to the original with a little patience. I would not re-use an old line (they are 50 years old you know).
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Man and I was proud of that one . Ok . And yes a late 68 . My e brake has never worked yet either . Maybe that's why it went out with this hole ? But anyway , I've done fuel lines this way , safe? .. or no? . I'll get that sorted asap . And yes ,better than tape and a hose clamp . hahah.

GeoffM
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by GeoffM »

1. brass compression fittings like you posted are only rated to ~300psi. Brake systems can get over 1000psi as Keith posted.
2. They don't work with steel line because the ferule needs to bite into the OD of the tube.

After all the posts above telling you its not save are you seriously still asking whether it's safe??
Geoff
1969 SPL-311
carlkaty
Site Supporter

Post by carlkaty »

I think Lorna's last question only referred to a fuel line. Still copper ferule to steel line but very little pressure.
Carl & Kathy, Just outside Watkins Glen
Swapped 68-1600
05 Volvo (was Linda's) now Ali's (grand daughter)
17 Ford Escape
96 Buick Wagon-the whale

JUNK is the stuff you throw away
Stuff is the junk you keep
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Really really bad idea on brake lines.

Would not matter much on fuel lines, but not a good quality repair method regardless.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12350&start=90#p279901
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

haha yes referring to the fuel . Yes I get the breakline thing now .. I have a few of those on I believe. I'm not actually sure which line they're on now actually . (The others I've done ) . I will get some metal repair or line and replace it away from coper .. thanks for that ...

JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Lorna, are you sure there is not a repair shop nearby that could help you? Some of these “repairs” you are tackling are much much better/faster/safer/easier when handled by a pro. (Not trying to be a jerk or anything, just considering your safety, the car’s well being and other drivers on the road)
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!