Only with chassis it turns
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: Dwell / timing oddness

Post by Lorna c »

Am I understanding what's what ? I've been sitting it to 10 degrees before top dead center Mark and pull the distributor take it to zero drop the distributor back in minding the marks and then turn the chassis until it drops in making sure the rotor does not rotate with it right?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Found what I was doing wrong ..I was not taking the entire distributor out.. ergh what I don't know kills me
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

And when I said chassis I meant that thing in the front that has the timing marks on it wrong word sorry..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

What takes everybody 30 seconds to do it takes more than 3 days !

Jdflyer
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Jdflyer »

Lorna c wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:46 pm What takes everybody 30 seconds to do it takes more than 3 days !
Oh boy do I know that feeling. Just remember 1 step at a time. You will get there.
1970 SPL 311-29311
Phoenix, AZ
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Boy howdy . I tried a few times and got all messed up because of going the wrong way . I really haven't figured that out yet , how to move it the right way to get the results I want . Somehow I mix up how it's going to respond in the timing and end up in between the lobes at TDC . haha not far enough to switch plug wires,.. and out of reach to turn distributor. A Perfect MisS . 3×.after i kept trying to move it "a tooth" for a full day.. i didn't know there's a middle part to the distributor .. ooooooh. That part .... So ....now that I have all possible messups you can do .yeah there's more I'm sure ..., I'll slip the new distributor in easy peasy first time kinda thing .. knock on wood .. I will win..this car will be happy .. no but it's been bugging me the fact that it had to be at 30 or less just to spark early enough .. I remember now making that decision back a while ago at first when it drove like crap . But the more I learned on nice llarge spark is important and with half the dwell it needs it can't fire hot enough to burn clean , so I shortened the sparkplug gaps to compensate for weaker spark hoping to rig it to run the best it could. The carburators we're their own anmial that's for sure.. and solved .!. whoOhOo ..now this should be solved and over .. the electrical is all buttoned up after lining up the fuse box correct . Who knew they didn't just have to be there . It matters who they're hooked up to , too ... haha makes sense now yeah . And what else oh fuel lines clogging up that's been eliminated.. check check and check ..
Oh ..now the E- break . Never worked , and I've adjusted them . . Those are kinda important to get next . Same saga new problem....

Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

I am seeing the frustration in your process, but seems unavoidable by the way you have gone about it, but that is what you want to do so it's all good. You will learn eventually.
Just don't drive unless you have fixed those brake lines.

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Linda wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:46 am I am seeing the frustration in your process, but seems unavoidable by the way you have gone about it, but that is what you want to do so it's all good. You will learn eventually.
Just don't drive unless you have fixed those brake lines.

Linda
Ya know I learned somt about that yesterday .. hopefully it won't keep up like that as long as I know the process , or that there is one at all.. I guess there's a process for everything , maybe ... I need to learn each one ..haha .. but seriously , is there a process for everything ? Like , if I do something , anything , it'll have a process to follow ? Anyway I got the non smog distributor today /Eve and I'll set it in tomorrow . I cleaned it all up and now it'll be ready for morning .. whoOhOo here we go .. cross your fingers pls ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Did you know you need to do things in a certain order, Always or you'll get a different end result ? Always . .
I didn't know this . I thought you just had to do it .. for the most part . If that makes sense .. big lightbulb yesterday .. one I heard about but didn't fully understand . But I do now . Hopefully.

Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

You can just jump in and try to "figure out" the job....that might be fun sometimes. But usually finding out the usual, correct way to do the job is speedier, safer. When you are really an expert you can modify, change and blaze a trail for others. Not me.
So there is your challenge. What are the steps? You could list them so you don't miss one and proceed to see what that feels like.
You have all the clues in your thread and the Wiki
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Oh boy home work . Lol jp . I'm in a really good mood right now no I haven't got it with the distributor yet.. yesterday at lunch I went out to lunch with my sons, my oldest was in town for the day he left later I want to go to the bank to make my deposit and I could not find my purse with all my deposit in there. Call my son he was still driving back to Tahoe and it was not in his car. So I called the restaurant and it was not at the restaurant so I'm freaking out in my head and later fall asleep my son left me a text he got home really good and it's not there.. so I called the restaurant again just because I recognize the voice as our waiters told him who I was and he interrupted me saying yeah yeah I got your purse here in the office all my money was still there.whohoo! Now back to the car !

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

There's a bit overhang inside that is another 1/4" on top of the threading that went inside hitting the distributor..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Picture didn't post with last .. this was rammed up against the distributor causing it to not move.. had my son screwed in for me the other day..what ? Yep ... Ugh the copper line for oil feed into distributor.. jammed up distributor ..

Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

I never use that method for putting the gear in. I like the Wiki instructions but it is not simple to do.
Linda