Dwell / timing oddness

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: Dwell / timing oddness

Post by Lorna c »

Toptech360 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:58 pm Are you sure your at tdc #1?
Hint: pull spark plug and stick wood dowel or long screwdriver gently down hole. Turn engine by hand and watch for the dowel or screwdriver to rise. Once it is at true top dead center then pull your distributor and rotate rotor to 11 o'clock position and reinstall.
Ok so in this case , the car , TDC is horizontal for the slot on motor . But setting things up top here on the distributor and setting things correctly (I believe) I have the 11 and 5 slot angle setting . Now how to rectify this or is this just where #1 compression stroke is in this case ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

So if I turn rotor to seat at the 11:00 spot , it won't seat all the way down obviously .. so .....? Do I just go with what's here and keep my TDC on #1 at 1:00 ?

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

This will be an issue with new distributor that's coming also right ? Since it's the car that's sideways , not the distributor ?

notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

The new distributor may NOT be off, it depends on what variables on your dizzie (or the other distributor) have been messed with. I would wait and use the "new" one and start fresh there. It's my experience that anytime a motor, or distributor has been apart it won't necessarily go back together the same way. Add 50 years of opportunity to screw things up, and then combine two different pieces from two different mechanics to go into a new combination and you will get yet again different results.
So what am I saying? Even if you get this set up perfectly, the new one will likely be different anyway. I would work with the one you want, and stop with the one you know is not correct.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Yeah I'm getting to that point . It's baffling . 64 dwell beats the Pistons on the head . period . Where my #1 is pointing to at TDC compression is 1:00 . Not 11 or 4:00 so .. I give up .... It hopefully won't transfer into the new distributor .. I've checked checked and checked again .had others check and check again .. and here I am with a 30 dwell (well not yet back at 30 or less but so far it's the only thing that allows me to accelerate) odd very odd .. but what do I know ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

And the Saga Remains Unsolved ! Bummer

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

I'll drop it in and out a few times and see if I can get it a tooth over so to speak . . It's retarded a notch and can't get to. TDC 0° so it's still alive . Just not today . I'll have it better before the new I hope . Ill need this practice on hitting it right for the next anyway . If I can't shift this one I can't the new either . Seems to be pretty easy to do even when you know about it so practice practice practice .. I'll get that sucker !

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Oh and it's starting . Just way retarted . And running like crud . No balls . Barely alive with gas pedal depressed and can't get it to vroommm . I always think of that one game in the arcades where you take the padded hammer and hit the Gophers coming up in the holes in the head to knock them down... that's what it feels like my timings doing. So I'm not driving him .. he ran today and vroomed but I was at 28 dwell . haha well heck , car ran . Car ran good . And car ran bad . Back around getting the ,"oh I'll look at that laters ,". and it's a tuff one to not throw in a 30 dwell and just drive. . . But it's a mystery for me and I'm obsessed on it now . And I DONT WANT TO REPEAT THIS ISSUE ! WELL ILL BE BACK WHEN/IF I GET IT RIGHT . TTFN

Datrock
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datrock »

It had been 40 years since I used a Dwell meter to set the points and when I did it was in the mid 50's for my 1600. Lorna, a reading for a V-8 is near or just below 30 so "Having the wrong Dwell obsession" might be just a misunderstanding of the Point Dwell.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Like how ? A 15 dwell on the 8 cylinder × 2 for 4 cylinder = my dwell and 31 =. 62 etc right ? But why can't I turn the slot inside of motor for oil pump ? It's not moving with large screwdriver .. isn't it supposed to turn ?

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

I lost that special bolt to my distributor that holds it down in the dark last night so had to stop . I don't know I'm watching all these videos and this just seems easy enough to do.. I don't know why I'm not nailing it.. anyway I have another try today so maybe I'll get it .. WHY IS THIS NOT WORKING FOR ME .. ERGH . ILL GET THIS SUCKER IF IT KILLS ME ....

notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

You have to lift the "coupler gear" (not sure what it's called), to remove the distributor drive from the tower, THEN turn the oil pump with a screwdriver. You cannot turn the gear directly below the distributor with a screwdriver. As you lift the gear, it will rotate, you'll need to compensate for that rotation when you move the oil pump slot and as you put the gear back in. Getting them to line up and seat is the real trick of this otherwise simple procedure.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

notoptoy wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:15 pm You have to lift the "coupler gear" (not sure what it's called), to remove the distributor drive from the tower, THEN turn the oil pump with a screwdriver. You cannot turn the gear directly below the distributor with a screwdriver. As you lift the gear, it will rotate, you'll need to compensate for that rotation when you move the oil pump slot and as you put the gear back in. Getting them to line up and seat is the real trick of this otherwise simple procedure.
I'm trying to .. or I'm understanding something wrong

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

This thing yes?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

That won't turn