Dwell / timing oddness

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: Dwell / timing oddness

Post by Lorna c »

Oh on big question pls
If it's one tooth off how do u know it ?
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Awah !! My sparkplug spots have been: off a notch or three ! haha no wonder .. now how the heck did I get such good performance besides idle in town this car flew. Maybe . Maybe I still haven't felt it yet !! whoOhOo . Problem solved ! On the dwell issue . Right ? haha and no I don't set the #1 . But I need to now . Somehow . Well back to reading .. whoOhOo ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Awah my picture didn't post .. brb

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Shoot it's all back together ... Ergh . I need to see if this is right on the inside because it's the only way it would point to the number one but it seems set up different . But maybe that's what I needed .. lol . I'll dig it up ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Now is this correct inside ? ....

How did this car run ?? It amazes me every time I find something so big that's wrong ... Shoot, it amazes me when I find something small . But is this how I didn't blow it up with so much advance ?
And
How do you think my cam broke in and shaped like this ? haha
And how did I find an adjustment that worked in this mess I had . Man . Carbs , fuse box , and now distributor . Anything else ? haha no . No more for about 150yrs. please . Nothing else . Car better be happy after all he's been through ..wow . Poor Rumble . No wonder he rumbled . But I'm not starting it until I know for sure the insides are correct pls. . It's definitely different thank before ..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

I'm waiting to crank it over until I hear back from someone about the insides, are they orrect ly installed .as far as placement of the top bar and weights to eachother ? Do they cross over eachother.

notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

That is definitely installed incorrectly! The posts on the weights should be through the cam slots. Shorter slot should have the stiffer spring but it doesn’t really matter in this case because you don’t have the right Springs. The reason the car ran correctly with where you’re number one is pointing is because the distributor doesn’t really care, it’s just a convention that most people follow and is factory correct. Your timing can be correct no matter where number one is placed as long as you have enough movement to adjust the timing and your spark plugs are in the correct firing order from #1. There are several variables that can determine how you can get lined up with number one at the 11 o’clock position. One that is often overlooked is that the oil pump drive is not symmetrical, in other words if you flip it it’s not 180° out it’s actually more like 140 degrees. There’s how you install the point cam, and the infamous distributor/oil pump drive gear at the camshaft. It’s easiest and makes most sense to follow the service manual and the tech wiki, and start with the car set at top dead center and line everything up to the convention, number one at 11 o’clock
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Too confusing with a lot of variables now. I'd just wait for the new distributor and start over with the basics.
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

notoptoy wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:53 am That is definitely installed incorrectly! The posts on the weights should be through the cam slots. Shorter slot should have the stiffer spring but it doesn’t really matter in this case because you don’t have the right Springs. The reason the car ran correctly with where you’re number one is pointing is because the distributor doesn’t really care, it’s just a convention that most people follow and is factory correct. Your timing can be correct no matter where number one is placed as long as you have enough movement to adjust the timing and your spark plugs are in the correct firing order from #1. There are several variables that can determine how you can get lined up with number one at the 11 o’clock position. One that is often overlooked is that the oil pump drive is not symmetrical, in other words if you flip it it’s not 180° out it’s actually more like 140 degrees. There’s how you install the point cam, and the infamous distributor/oil pump drive gear at the camshaft. It’s easiest and makes most sense to follow the service manual and the tech wiki, and start with the car set at top dead center and line everything up to the convention, number one at 11 o’clock
Ok .. thanks . You explained allot of questions I had . Thanks . And yes I'm trying to follow those instructions ,
butt I wasn't sure on the cam slots sat . And I did make the replacement spring stronger like the one removed and mangled . So it helps to know proper placement .
I know I have another one coming that's probably set up straight but I want to know the ends and outs of this without being too pushy to y'all .. but I always have so many questions and i apologize for that .. I'm that way about everything so ... Anyway I must have gotten first time luck last time on getting it back in correctly cus it wasn't after I did it again yesterday morning .(wouldn't start yesterday ) . So I'll try to follow instructions again today and set in right . It all depends on if I'm understanding it correctly as I read it .. so , test time .. lol be back soon I hope ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Linda wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:56 am Too confusing with a lot of variables now. I'd just wait for the new distributor and start over with the basics.
Well that's not challenging . haha no, I'm kidding . No I'm just trying to learn so if anything ever happens , I'll know what's up in there .. ya know .. not learning something until something is going wrong makes me panic and when I panic I forget all vocabulary for this stuff.. so .. I'm trying to learn before it's an emergency .. ya know ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Ok , the oil pump drive and distributor drive I never took those apart , can they be placed together incorrectly ? And if I'm understanding things ,. ,, No I'll stop with one question and wait ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Ok never mind on last question..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

So this is ok for the pointer to be where it has been then yes ? Because unless I'm doing something wrong it's still going to line up pointing at 1: 30 .
1533833705676.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Toptech360
Roadsteraholic

Post by Toptech360 »

Are you sure your at tdc #1?
Hint: pull spark plug and stick wood dowel or long screwdriver gently down hole. Turn engine by hand and watch for the dowel or screwdriver to rise. Once it is at true top dead center then pull your distributor and rotate rotor to 11 o'clock position and reinstall.
Dan
1964 Datsun SPL310. The Datsun
1997 Toyota Tacoma LX 4wd. The Truck
2009 Subaru Forester XT.
2017 Toyota AWD Swagger Wagon.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Toptech360 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:58 pm Are you sure your at tdc #1?
Hint: pull spark plug and stick wood dowel or long screwdriver gently down hole. Turn engine by hand and watch for the dowel or screwdriver to rise. Once it is at true top dead center then pull your distributor and rotate rotor to 11 o'clock position and reinstall.
Ok I'll try . I believe it is though .. it's been in this position since I've put it together , but this part back then I didn't install. . I'll do this now and see