Dwell / timing oddness

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: Dwell / timing oddness

Post by Lorna c »

Well it's too nice not to drive this baby sooooo.
One more jerry-rigged fix .. old spring - took one from allen wrench set matching stiffness of old one - placed in distributor ..haha now let'ss drive .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

OK, as I said, anything is better than nothing, but it will not run as designed with this spring. You will likely not have much advance until much higher in the RPM range with this set up. Plus, unless you secured that spring to the weight with a bend, it may not stay there very long.

Just as long as you know you need to fix this right to get close to correct.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

We'll check this out .. basically I rebuilt the distributor myself today . Put it back in after setting a tiny tiny point gap . So I hook everything up , and timing gun and dwell meter all hooked up . I turn it over , nothing . Humm maybe I'll need to open the gap still I think , look over that way and the rotor is out .haha so I place it in close all up again walk to key ,turn key ..... Nothing . Turn key again it fired right up . I look at dwell meter it reads 31. × 2 = what ?? A 62 and it's idling ? Yes , yes it is . What? . I go to timing gun , and with everything basically turned all the way up already I'm curious where it is ....its sitting at 0° right where it's supposed to be ... Hummmmmmm . Odd .. taking out for a ride really quick but ok then .... Let's see what's up ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

notoptoy wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:08 pm OK, as I said, anything is better than nothing, but it will not run as designed with this spring. You will likely not have much advance until much higher in the RPM range with this set up. Plus, unless you secured that spring to the weight with a bend, it may not stay there very long.

Just as long as you know you need to fix this right to get close to correct.
Sorry just noticed your reply . No I have a regular NON SMOG DISTRIBUTOR COMING !! this is to hold me offer until then. . Haha YESSSSSS ! and yes it does kick:- in at later RPM .. but I don't care anymore ! lol . No I care about learning all I can actually and your right .. I had a question and forgot it already dang it .. I'll remember and be back .(+_+) Oooh
How many little ball bearings is there in the sliding part of it 6 or 3. ? Something is making me think they're supposed to be six ... But I have 3 ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Like 2 sets of 3 in two different parts of the plates ..?? Or 3 only total ?

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Oh and the car drives not too bad .. I need to tweak some but it'll do for a couple days ...

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

If my #1 was Never in these spots , ever . What would that pose ? The black marks is where mine have been and btw long story short , not spring but my little thread job on that post that holds the spring to that thing on the side ? Oil pump? advance? I can't figure it out . Anyway that spring that comes in through the hole and hooks on that post I had to thread it and put a teeny tiny nut on there ..well that popped off cuz I didn't secure it and I had to take the distributor out again and I had to take the weights out again and I don't know if I put those in backwards cuz apparently they fit either way . so that's a good question to get answer to if possible . there's a short one and a long one on the holes where they go into the the weights going to the distributor.. I thought it was dummy proof like a lot of their electrical is but it's not so there's a long one and a short one as far as the slots open to accept the post down below inside. And I'm sure they each have a name because they're different .. which one goes how if I have the smaller slot up ? Per tek weki language . Oh man does anyone know what I mean ... I'll be back with more pictures . Oh the car won't start now it's been back together . So I've pulled it again and it's all open and fresh to be assembled.. the weights and springs are the only thing in..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Pictures to help me ok those slots into those weights with the slot in this position ..??

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

If standing passenger side of motor , above battery looking down at distributor . The x I put on for my #1 spark plug would be 1:00 on mine . Is this wrong ??

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

haha was it started wrong a year ago ?

2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

I’m so confused!... what is happening here?

When in doubt, set the motor to TDC on cylinder 1, then see where the rotor is pointing and make sure the corresponding spark plug wire is also on #1
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

It would point to the #1 I marked in black . On TDC . So thats #1 ! I'll triple check rt now and see . What about the slots for the weights ! If smaller side of slot at bottom is top side , long slot would be ? Oh wait , theirs a flat spot for the pointer of rotor !! If that's pointing to#1 also then ..............haha got it .. thx

Toptech360
Roadsteraholic

Post by Toptech360 »

Lorna c wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:32 pm If standing passenger side of motor , above battery looking down at distributor . The x I put on for my #1 spark plug would be 1:00 on mine . Is this wrong ??
To answer this question only. (You got a lot going on here haha)
Ok. Yes Your engine should correspond with the picture.
When you get your non smog distributor from Adam, first make sure your at tdc on #1.
next follow instructions in wiki that you screenshot.
It may be helpful to also read the repair manual (free download if you don't already have it) the repair manual describes a slightly different way of installing the distributor.

It is easy to get the distributor a tooth off. Because of the way the gear on the distributor shaft meshes with the gear on the camshaft it slightly rotates as you drop it in. You just have to be mindful of that when installing.
Dan
1964 Datsun SPL310. The Datsun
1997 Toyota Tacoma LX 4wd. The Truck
2009 Subaru Forester XT.
2017 Toyota AWD Swagger Wagon.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Toptech360 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:00 am
Lorna c wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:32 pm If standing passenger side of motor , above battery looking down at distributor . The x I put on for my #1 spark plug would be 1:00 on mine . Is this wrong ??
To answer this question only. (You got a lot going on here haha)
Ok. Yes Your engine should correspond with the picture.
When you get your non smog distributor from Adam, first make sure your at tdc on #1.
next follow instructions in wiki that you screenshot.
It may be helpful to also read the repair manual (free download if you don't already have it) the repair manual describes a slightly different way of installing the distributor.

It is easy to get the distributor a tooth off. Because of the way the gear on the distributor shaft meshes with the gear on the camshaft it slightly rotates as you drop it in. You just have to be mindful of that when installing.
Rotates which way ? With the rotation of rotor to plugs ? And how do I get #1 to the #1 in the picture on my car . I know ...read again wiki.lol

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Got the spring just right so the weight lays on that Center pole , cam maybe is called..instead of being off of it like it was a little bit ago and is not going to let go I have all that on good.. and yes I'm still rebuilding it properly I hope to anyway.. going to understand these stupid smog things... And I'm going to drive it tomorrow too ,I hope..