Dwell / timing oddness

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Toptech360
Roadsteraholic

Re: Dwell / timing oddness

Post by Toptech360 »

Both springs need to be connected. One is different than the other. Don't swap them, just reinstall the one that fell off. That will definitely help! That affects your advance.

Edit: the other spring installs on the opposite side.
Dan
1964 Datsun SPL310. The Datsun
1997 Toyota Tacoma LX 4wd. The Truck
2009 Subaru Forester XT.
2017 Toyota AWD Swagger Wagon.
AC77
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by AC77 »

Lorna,
PM me, I may have a solution for you or at least an easier path to get you to ground zero.
Adam
Adam C
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600, "Ivy" Registry | Photos
--
1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
1972 Chevy Luv
spyder
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by spyder »

The 2 springs are different. The thin one does the initial advance at a steeper rate, than the stiffer one engages and smooths out the advance. By the way, that is a smog distributor with the 35 degree curve. You want the one that says 7.5 which equals around 15 degrees of advance so you can bump up your initial timing close to 20 degrees before top dead center and the full advance stays below 35 degrees. That 17.5 advance setup will make the car run like a dog. It is meant to be set at 0 degrees.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

That spring is no-Bueno. it's bent and broken. you could replace it with about anything and get better results than nothing.
I can send you springs that will replace this, but it will only put it back to stock, and not make any improvements. You need to recurve if you want to get the most out of it.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

Broken, bent, disconnected spring doesn't help but you will still need to verify that the distributor is installed correctly.....
I had a broken spring too not too long ago
15336170568450.jpg
Linda
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

notoptoy wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:33 pm That spring is no-Bueno. it's bent and broken. you could replace it with about anything and get better results than nothing.
I can send you springs that will replace this, but it will only put it back to stock, and not make any improvements. You need to recurve if you want to get the most out of it.
What do you mean by like a dog ? It's been acting up lately . Seems as I fix more things more pop up . haha .
How much is an El dizzy thing ? I'm considering a flip . I'm thinking it'll eliminate a couple of my issues Maybe ?
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Linda wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:45 pm Broken, bent, disconnected spring doesn't help but you will still need to verify that the distributor is installed correctly.....
I had a broken spring too not too long ago
15336170568450.jpg
Linda
Yes .this does not fix my issue but it answers some quirks I've been feeling lately that I was messing with other things to try to see what was the cause . I did clean up the insides of the distributor

Ooh another question please ..
How many bearings are in this thing ? Only 3 or 6?? I only have 3 and it sounds like their should be 6 . I'm looking at the slide plate that is between the breaker plates , not the ones on the bottom outside but in the thin plates on those peg kinda things where theirs 3 on one side and one notch on the other side .if that makes sense .. ?? It's not done yet (still) this guy bailed and we'll see if he shows tomorrow . If not I'll get back in there, but ok enough for today I guess so I'll wait for yalls answers .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Which is better
Recurve the one I have or get a El dizzy ?
Which would give better performance ?
He's supposed to be back today and I do want to get this thing on the road in the meantime to shoot south and do a train for a roll bar . But I want to do something to this distributor to make it better or something..
Anyway if y'all aren't sick of this subject yet I'd appreciate some feedback on which to do pls .. thanks

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Well I did some reading on this El distributor and
Why can't anything be just straight forward ? haha options aren't always good .. ergh . I already have a 12v coil and I'll need to recurve my distributor anyway ,correct ? Anyway . I understand now .. no need to elaborate on that . So I guess I'll be getting this thing running well enough to make a trip then order a recurve kit or whatever it's called asap . So . Again thanks for all the help this far .

AC77

Post by AC77 »

A question for all. Will a non-smog distributor from a 67 1600 work in Lorna's 68 1600 without any mods?
Adam C
--
1972 Chevy Luv
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Yes if it has the original parts, is not worn out, and is installed correctly. And car is re timed to correct specs.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Lorna,
EI info in the Wiki.
Linda
AC77

Post by AC77 »

Linda wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:20 pm Yes if it has the original parts, is not worn out, and is installed correctly. And car is re timed to correct specs.
Linda
Thank you. From what I read, that's exactly what I thought.
Adam C
--
1972 Chevy Luv
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Thanks Linda .
And ac77 who ever you are (ADAM) , THANK YOU BUNCHES ! NOW let's drive .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Oh and p.s. the question about both springs needing to be installed . Of course they do , no one is going to waist time or money putting in something unnecessary ,meaning Datsun,. that was just to shut up this so-called mechanic trying to tell me it doesn't need to be in there.. I told him well if They say it needs to go in , it's going in ! cuz he wasn't listening to me.. anyway he probably won't be back for a week or so , it's just his history with being reliable. Thank why I say screw it and get dirty myself . Anyway thanks again for info and help.. I'm solo again in this mission .haha it's better that way believe it or not . Oh and now that spring is mangled ! haha fell off again and got mushed . Ok back when I install the nonsmog distributor .. haha go and hide . Tata for now