Dwell / timing oddness

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: Dwell / timing oddness

Post by Lorna c »

wait I think I remember ..
I need to turn the fan and the timing markers to hit the spot I need ! then drop it back in , yes ? yes I remember now .. haha if I'm wrong , I'll be back to read it's not possible or whatever y'all say to correct me .. yesss I think that's it though .. whoOhOo .. ok ttfn
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

I think I made it worse last try so I'm hoping I'm moving it at least. I'll just keep going until it starts to get bette,r and switch my #1... or it's all the same and I'm wasting my time . but I think it's moving .. I hope .

but if someone's reading this and knows for sure
** how do I advance the timing this way ? by moving everything but the timing markers on the distributor ?
like which way does the rotate out of car? or better yet ,
I've set it like y'all do , and actually I don't remember if it was why I "had it" before .or super close . maybe I need to drop back to basics and set it up like it's the first time and not try to tweek what isn't right to begin with , huh ! so .. that's step one I'll do . start by the book or wiki , then see what's up ..ok going back in on ground zero in the morning . or in 5 hours or so then I'll be back and report . I think I forget to do this after a few days .. alot .. ttfn . need sleep .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

does anyone have a picture of what they're talking about here in circled area on picture ? I've got the distributor understood But I don't know where this is .. mine seems to pull out without taking anything out and there's a slit in the steel making it unadjustable so I don't think I'm looking at the right spot ..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

This is referring to the oil pump drive on the bottom of the distributor shaft. This is NOT symmetrical, which fools a lot of people. There are two different ways to put it on - but there is no "adjustment" per say.
Take a small pin or dental tool and "unwind" the spring from the groove onto the body of the drive gear.
As you do this, you will see the pin referred to, pull the pin and run - you have 3 seconds to detonation.
Wait, that's a hand grenade - pull the pin and rotate the gear 180 degrees, reinstall the pin, and pull/push the spring back into place
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

notoptoy wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:00 pm This is referring to the oil pump drive on the bottom of the distributor shaft. This is NOT symmetrical, which fools a lot of people. There are two different ways to put it on - but there is no "adjustment" per say.
Take a small pin or dental tool and "unwind" the spring from the groove onto the body of the drive gear.
As you do this, you will see the pin referred to, pull the pin and run - you have 3 seconds to detonation.
Wait, that's a hand grenade - pull the pin and rotate the gear 180 degrees, reinstall the pin, and pull/push the spring back into place
ok . never saw that .. just wanted to know what I did to know yet .. . I thought I read you can adjust it but maybe it's only the 180 turn .. thanks much !

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

I'm really close . I don't think I will need to take it out again . but knock on wood on that one . I think I've shaved down the time to do it to about 9 mins now ..haha toooooo many times figuring it out ..