Dwell / timing oddness

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: Dwell / timing oddness

Post by Lorna c »

Linda wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:08 pm I never use that method for putting the gear in. I like the Wiki instructions but it is not simple to do.
Linda
Which method ? I used the wiki one and nailed it .. then I found that oil line rammed up against the distributor .. that's no good .. I'm lucky nothing broke . I hope .. wow I was trying to start it over and over , then I went to adjust it , didn't move an inch .. kept looking for the rotor out .. haha
Oh and believe me Linda , I'm just starting to get that there's an order for everything . I mean I say it but it hasn't clicked in that everything has an order I need to learn !
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

LORNA HAS A ROLL BAR !! LORNA HAS A ROLL BAR . FINALLY ..
NOW WHERE DO U GET THE FOAM THAT WRAPS IT . IM ABOUT TO GET SOME POOL NOODLES .. haha if they'll fit I'll modify it ..
Oh wait , this has nothing to do with dwells do it ! haha just playing .. in a good mood in spite of my car . haha

Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Simpler method of dropping the gear in without marking etc, but maybe that method you used works better.
Now you can start a roll bar thread, Lorna. Quite a few pics in the archives
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Linda wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:33 am Simpler method of dropping the gear in without marking etc, but maybe that method you used works better.
Now you can start a roll bar thread, Lorna. Quite a few pics in the archives
Linda
Na . Not much to wrapping up rollbars . 1 line 1 photo .. hahah

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

What are arcives ?

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Jk

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

:smt022 :smt021

My vacuum advance had a hole in the diaphragm .
Along with it dropped in correctly now :-) still with the smog distributor . swapping them back and forth to see what's going on (when my Advance was no longer advancing) and haven't put the non Smog on yet with a working advance so I'm not sure if I didn't like the non Smog or if it wasn't working properly I'm not sure when the advance broke what's so great with the smog distributor but still want to try the non smog with a working advance..! I'll be back with that report when I actually do it it might be a couple weeks.. see which I like and rumble likes ..

notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Just transfer the working VA to the non-smog distributor.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

notoptoy wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:56 am Just transfer the working VA to the non-smog distributor.
I will but it's been switched back and I don't feel like doing it Again. I probably switched them 4 times already .. lol .. seriously though .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Cars doing good now .. I'm getting the pep back in it .. taking freeways nicely now again.. RUMBLES BACK !

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

and progress stopped there . it's still off a touch on the seating of the distributor. . I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but it's mostly going back to almost same spot by the time I have it all the way seated . not sure why I'm messing it up yet but if there's a way , I'll find it and several more ..haha anyway just an update on this . tried all day yesterday , and I have it moved half way only . I'm doing what the wiki say but I'm still having fun with it .. going to try today again .. it's firing goog at good rpms but I feel miss fire when at idle . lots of it thinking it's because I'm past the plug when it do fire so .... back at this today too ... and someday breaks too . clutch and distributor today hoping to complete at least one of them ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

ok well I got the distributor right finally , I think .
started it and sounded flat , like no advance so took out plate and looked and it was a mess so , I got my original plate , put in the 2mm bearings I got between the advance plates and cleaned things up because the other wasn't moving . so I'm now with that all cleaned up and ready for install and then fire up in the morning . tbc!

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

ok two things I noticed when doing this distributor reset thing .
1) lift the entire distributor out ! all the way to the block , not only the adjustment screw part for timing . the ends look the same but it'll set right back in the same position every time .
2) clean out the oil from the oil pump area (don't just use a screwdriver to find slot . why , well I'll tell ya . after a day trying to drop it in after a day of doing it only half of it removed , my x told me to put the screwdriver in , turn it , then let go of the screwdriver . and then I saw why I couldn't get it to drop in .. the pump will turn back . haha and if it's not clean in there , you won't know it .. so .. along with the normal instructions keep a mind on these two things also .. might save you a day or two headaches .. carry on .. oh and rumbles happy and rumbling again . running great . I can swap out a distributor in 10mins now . . haha

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

another question if possible please ..

ok so the picture is where my distributor is now ..
meaning the rotor is at #1 sparkplug and the bottom of distributor is at 11:25 .
it will fire at TDC only basickly give or take a little (not enough) where it sits . is there a way to make it fire at 10°btdc or more if moving the timing isn't enough ? I've done this a million times yet I'm getting the same results only different #1s , I think . I'm not sure anymore if I've moved anything or not ..if the timing chain is off mark or whatever , will this keep me from hitting what I want ? or am I just not getting it right still (over correcting it etc ) . I could have sworn I had it really close, but I tried to get it closer . now I'm confused again if what I'm trying to do is possible ? I need , where it sits in the pictures , to be before this #1 spot . is this possible at all ? . I thought it was but I'm not sure I've explained things correctly at all too y'all . how can I have it pop open the points sooner than it is and keep a 60dwell ?
1) am I only trippn' so just go do it more till I hit it
2) or is what I'm asking not possible ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

and I say to keep a 60 dwell because before I got the spark to happen making the points open at 10° btdc by opening the dwell up to a 20 on the dwell meeter .. now I know now that the spark opening up that big shortens the charge time aka dwell . I thought dwell only opened the spark at a specific spot . timing does that and points (dwell ) shouldn't stay open that long if I need a strong spark so I'm trying to understand this more on what's possible with adjusting this distributor .. if that makes sense